Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitch in heat.

Options
  • 05-01-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just looking for a bit of advise.
    I have a 2 year old red and white setter bitch which seems to be in heat. My problem is that I also have a just 5 month old English pointer dog . Am I correct in assuming that the 5 monthy old pointer could mate with my setter. Or is 5 month too young. I dont want them to cross but havent had a chance to build seperate sleeping quarters yet and they share the garden during the day. He is showing interest and trying to mount. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes he can mate with her!! You absolutely must keep them apart from now, and for at least 3 weeks. Have you got crates?

Can you send the male away to anyone to mind or put him in kennels for a while? It will be an absolute nightmare and very unfair on the male when shes full on in heat from about day ten so id advise getting something sorted asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

andreac wrote: »
    Yes he can mate with her!! You absolutely must keep them apart from now, and for at least 3 weeks. Have you got crates?

Can you send the male away to anyone to mind or put him in kennels for a while? It will be an absolute nightmare and very unfair on the male when shes full on in heat from about day ten so id advise getting something sorted asap.
    Thanks for the advise, will do something straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

john t wrote: »
    is their a specific reason why 2 yr old female is not neutared? 5 month male is excited with odour and wants happy time...they could mate and produce good offspring.. hunting dogs..

He has already stated he doesn't want them to mate. Perhaps he plans to breed her in the future but doesn't want a 5 month old pointer mating her now? Perhaps I'm completely reading your post wrong but why should he just let anything with balls (let alone a pup) mate with her at the moment just to produce pups that may or may not be good hunting dogs?

Zapperzy wrote: »
    He has already stated he doesn't want them to mate. Perhaps he plans to breed her in the future but doesn't want a 5 month old pointer mating her now? Perhaps I'm completely reading your post wrong but why should he just let anything with balls (let alone a pup) mate with her at the moment just to produce pups that may or may not be good hunting dogs?
    Thats pritty much it, I plan to breed her in a year or two. Just not with the pointer, especially at his age.
    Rang the vet today to see what my options were assuming the pup already got at the bitch.He said its unlightly that the pup would put her in pup, but suggested injections if I wanted to be sure. One one day and another 24hrs later. Not sure I like the idea of this, but dont want a litter or pups at this time either. Keep changing my mind from taking the chance she is not in pup to getting the injections. Its not a cost issue, its just I dont like the idea of the injections. Surley they cant be good for a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hey!! I went down that road of injections .... I would not recommend them!!! Paid e60 or so for it, had to mind her for a week " just in case" ; OK; and then two weeks later she came BACK into heat again!!! Little print... Injections can being on the next heAt sooner or not work!!! Aaaah!!! Had extra long heat and e60 bill for all my troubles! Don't go there!!!

• Advertisement

Hey!! I went down that road of injections .... I would not recommend them!!! Paid e60 or so for it, had to mind her for a week " just in case" ; OK; and then two weeks later she came BACK into heat again!!! Little print... Injections can being on the next heAt sooner or not work!!! Aaaah!!! Had extra long heat and e60 bill for all my troubles! Don't go there!!!
    Thanks for that. Looks like I will cross my fingers and hope the pup was not up to the job yet. Better get busy building a seperate run otherwise I will be back on in 6 to 12 months. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I know you said you are thinking of breeding further down the line but do think about it carefully ensure the reasons are right there are so many springers being bred and unless the dog is an exceptional example of the breed it's not a good idea anyway.

The injections could be harsh on the system, spaying or neutering at least one of the dogs will ensure they don't produce pups so perhaps have the other guy neutered now or shortly and then have a think about the springer later on.

She should be around 2 anyway before bred afaik so you'd be facing a few heats between now and then and they're a real nuisance so unless the dog is exceptional there's no point in putting her or yourself through the hassle of heats and risk of unwanted preggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I could be wrong but I think the dog is an Irish Red and White Setter? If she is then it might actully be a good idea to breed from her as they are a numerically small breed here in their native Ireland and there is now an outcross international programme with Irish Red Setters and the Irish Red and White in conjunction with the IKC.

She would of course need to have the relevant health tests done such as hip scoring. Also she would have to be an IKC Reg. dog.

See below

http://ikc.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=360&Itemid=58

I know you said you are thinking of breeding further down the line but do think about it carefully ensure the reasons are right there are so many springers being bred and unless the dog is an exceptional example of the breed it's not a good idea anyway.

The injections could be harsh on the system, spaying or neutering at least one of the dogs will ensure they don't produce pups so perhaps have the other guy neutered now or shortly and then have a think about the springer later on.

She should be around 2 anyway before bred afaik so you'd be facing a few heats between now and then and they're a real nuisance so unless the dog is exceptional there's no point in putting her or yourself through the hassle of heats and risk of unwanted preggies.
    Hi Sigma Force, she is actualy a Irish Red and White Setter, not a springer. I take all your points on board but the reason I want to bread her is that she is a fantastic dog for hunting. Setters traditionaly dont hunt very well until they are 3 or 4 years of age. "Peppy", my little bitch was setting pheasents from 6 months. Now at 2 and a half she is rock steady on game. Lighting fast, covers massive amounts of ground and will work all day. And as all the lads that shoot with me say "she has a great nose". also the common comment is "that dog leaves nothing behind" meaning never misses a game birds. She also is very intelegant and a lovely dog around children.
    My point being that I really want to carry Peppy's legacy forward and hopefully when she has pups they will be half the dog she is. Forward planning I think they call it.

Advertisement