Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know if it's OK to leave a spring aligner out sometimes?

Options
  • 05-01-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

The obvious response is: ask your orthodontist.

Aside from her lack of bedside manner, when I got the braces fitted two weeks ago, she said just to take it out to clean it.

So, I imagine that she, or any ortho, would say the same.

But, I can't eat with it in, and I find speaking embarrassing, so I've been leaving it out for up to four hours a day I'd say, including meals and work phone calls or meetings.

Anyone know if it will still work on this basis? I will ask the ortho next visit, but I would like a realistic rather than idealistic response.

It's a TP Orthodontics spring aligner - I was all set for invisible aligners, but when the moulds were sent to the lab, they said that it I'd need the spring aligner for six months.

Can't resist using a straight-toothed smiley :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Rud Annamh wrote: »
    The obvious response is: ask your orthodontist.

Aside from her lack of bedside manner, when I got the braces fitted two weeks ago, she said just to take it out to clean it.

So, I imagine that she, or any ortho, would say the same.

But, I can't eat with it in, and I find speaking embarrassing, so I've been leaving it out for up to four hours a day I'd say, including meals and work phone calls or meetings.

Anyone know if it will still work on this basis? I will ask the ortho next visit, but I would like a realistic rather than idealistic response.

It's a TP Orthodontics spring aligner - I was all set for invisible aligners, but when the moulds were sent to the lab, they said that it I'd need the spring aligner for six months.

Can't resist using a straight-toothed smiley :D

I know that its not the answer that you want to hear but.... leaving this out 4 hours a day is doing you no favors Imo...
    First you slow down or halt movement...
    Second, putting pressure on a tooth, then allowing it to relax back to where it was and on and on and on risks causing root resorption... not good...

If wearing this is a problem for you maybe fixed braces would be better for you?

But most worrying of all; what the hell is your orthodontist doing by your bedside?????

By the way, I'm no orthodontist.......

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rud Annamh

Thanks. Not what I wanted to hear indeed, but makes sense. Plus always happy to learn a new word (resorption).

Don't oral surgeons make bedside visits? You need to change career... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Rud Annamh wrote: »

Don't oral surgeons make bedside visits? You need to change career... :p

No, I don't... chair-side is close enough for me:D:D

Advertisement