Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving maintenance payment

Options
  • 05-01-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭

I hope someone can advice on this.

I have an account with AIB that I wanted to close and move everything over to my Ulster Bank account using the switcher team in the UB branch. Everything was moved easily except I have a maintenance payment paid into the AIB account my childs father. Both UB and AIB have said they can't do anything to facilitate this movement, I have to contact my ex. I have emailed him but have gotten no response.

So I am stuck. Surely AIB must be able to do something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Your old bank could manually re-direct the payment by posting a draft to the new bank to be lodged to your account. But they won't. Those days are gone. Ironic isn't it? As technology improves, the customer suffers.

Your ex will need to contact his bank and amend the destination account details on his standing order. If he doesn't your old bank will automatically refuse the credit and it'll be sent back to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Thank you for your quick response. You would think they could make it a bit easier wouldn't you. It's a good job the AIB account isn't costing me anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Thank you for your quick response. You would think they could make it a bit easier wouldn't you. It's a good job the AIB account isn't costing me anything

No problem.

If it's a monthly payment maybe wait until the next one comes in before closing the old account - that gives him time to change the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I'd close nothing until the 1st payment arrives with UB. After that close the aib account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Make is easier? You want to close your account but also want them to put through transactions and pass them onto UB each month. That is asking a lot.

If you have asked an account to be closed. Thats what happens, it closes. They cant accept payments.

You could keep the account open and setup a standing order for the money to go to your UB account once a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Legislator

Under the Central Bank Account Switching Code it is up to you to contact anyone who is making payments to your account to give them the new details. AIB are under no obligation to forward any payments and they are obliged to return any that are presented on a closed account.

Advertisement