Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diesel vs Turbo Diesel

Options
  • 05-01-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm in the market for a Motorhome - probably in the 97 - 02 year range. Most of the ones on the market seem to be Turbo Diesels, but some aren't. As far as I'm aware the TD's have more power and are more fuel efficient - but is it worth ignoring a regular diesel motorhome if its at a good price? I'm Looking for smaller 4/5 berth models so may not need the extra power.
    Obviously TD is prefferable - but if I'm looking for a motorhome with a particular layout within a budget I can't be overly picky. So wondering if regular diesel is something to consider or not

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

layout is first priority , but the power makes them a whole lot nicer to drive . And if it;s a Fiat or VW m, once you own a TE , you won't likely buy a non turbo ever again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    layout is first priority , but the power makes them a whole lot nicer to drive . And if it;s a Fiat or VW m, once you own a TE , you won't likely buy a non turbo ever again..

In the early 00's the fueling of diesel engines took an enormous leap forward with the introduction of common rail systems, these engines are significantly more efficient, powerful and economical. They are designated as JTD (FIAT) Dci (Renault) TDCi (Ford) to name a few.

If the budget will stretch, a model towards your '02 target would be a better bet. Also the FIAT JTD models got a revised gearbox which eliminated the infamous 5th. gear problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

thanks. It's a 99 Peugeot I'm eyeing up, don't know exact engine model, but am told its non turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

kelbal wrote: »
    thanks. It's a 99 Peugeot I'm eyeing up, don't know exact engine model, but am told its non turbo
    If it's a '99 onwards non turbo it could be is the 1.9D, if it's a '94>'99 it could be a 2.5D.
    Depending on the weight and the frontal area of the motorhome those engine could be very underpowered on hills and against headwinds.
    Bearing in mind that a flat rate of road tax applies to motor caravans irrespective of engine size there is nothing to be gained by going for a 'small' engine.
    Personally I would go the the 2.8 turbo version of the unit which came out in '99 (it was a FIAT/Iveco product but used in Peugeots), it has nearly 50% more power and torque over the non turbo unit.
    As they say, "it's better to be looking at it than looking for it"

Advertisement