Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soldering in Longford

Options
  • 05-01-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

I need a small repair to a remote control, and I dont have the faintest idea where to start? Does anyone know where I can get a tiny solder done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

What kind of remote control is it? If it's for a TV, stereo, etc. then it's probably just as cheap to buy a new one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

If the soldering needs to be done to the circuitry/components or to solder together a cracked circuit then it would be a tough job unless you had a nano soldering iron as the circuits are extremely tiny. if that's the case then better off buying a new remote. if the problem is with the board connector springs where you put the battery in then thats an easy job and it would cost little to nothing to get fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I could do it for you for free but I'm about 20mins from the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

RCK computers on grafton court in longford.

You should try and do it youself tho. Lots of how-to guides on the internet and ya never know ya might like it and become an electronics enthusiast. The world of electronics is fantastic. I recommend everyone should learn the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Its a sticky out resistor / transistor - sorry I cant think what they're called - attached photo. It was hanging on by one wire in my original post but has now completely come off , I've tried a couple of generic remotes they dont seem to support it, its a Philips Home Cinema, and nothing I can find has a code for it, without spending big money I'd imagine, in which case I'd just save up for a new home cinema. PITA trying to use it without a working remote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

That looks like an electrolytic capacitor. The value is printed on it somewhere. E.g 10u (microfarad) or 22u or something like that. Needs replacing, not just soldering back on if the legs are broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭IPR_Iain

You can buy these components from Maplins quite easily. Then just solder it in.

Advertisement