Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phd Proposal Based on Masters Thesis

Options
  • 05-01-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm thinking about applying for a phd. The topic I'd like to write about, however, is the same as I wrote my MA Thesis on (apart from this it is a piece of original research). Would this be a problem; or do people commonly try to evolve something they've written as part of the MA into a phd?
    Many thanks,
    Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

IrishMark wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm thinking about applying for a phd. The topic I'd like to write about, however, is the same as I wrote my MA Thesis on (apart from this it is a piece of original research). Would this be a problem; or do people commonly try to evolve something they've written as part of the MA into a phd?
    Many thanks,
    Mark.

I've come across many examples of this - nothing wrong with it at all, as long as there is scope for further substantial, original research. Your best judge in this regard is your potential supervisor, who will be able to advise you if the topic is worth pursuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

IrishMark wrote: »
    Many thanks,
    Mark.
    efla wrote: »
    I've come across many examples of this - nothing wrong with it at all, as long as there is scope for further substantial, original research. Your best judge in this regard is your potential supervisor, who will be able to advise you if the topic is worth pursuing.

Yep, just to echo efla, I think this is very common, and very acceptable, as long as the potential is there to expand your master's topic. It's what I and many on my course (I'm currently on an MPhil) are planning to do, as it makes the PhD in turn seem more manageable, without having to delve into a completely new topic. Plus, you'd have accumulated a lot of knowledge about the topic, which could only be helpful in formulating both a topic to study, and an original piece of knowledge.

Advertisement