Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male receptionist?

Options
  • 05-01-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

I keep seeing reception positions that I have all the necessary skills for

and most of my experience has been in front of house situations

So, I was thinking of getting certified in it, but I'm weary of being disregarded because I'm a man

Is that stereotype still alive and well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I suppose the stereotype is still alive, much along the lines of people expecting nurses to be women. I have seen male receptionists, and more often in recent years. I was one myself at weekends when I was in school and college for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There's absolutely no reason why not. Think of how many hotels, sports complexes and other businesses have male receptionists. There are quite a few. It's not very unusual to find a guy on the front desk.

If a company did not consider you for the job, it would be blatant sexism and actually illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Thanks for the replies

I think Ill just go for it. Think the course has a few weeks work experience too, so that will help qualification and experience-wise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I was collecting tickets from the 02 headquarters and there was a very pleasant and professional gentleman. on reception. That has been the only time I've seen a male receptionist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Go for it OP

I was a hotel night porter for years but I'd do daytime reception shifts too for extra cash

Nothing strange about a male receptionist

• Advertisement
Advertisement