Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to find the service history of an FF marked SMLE via serial number?

Options
  • 05-01-2012 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Is there a way to look it up? what barrack it was in, when it was surplussed? all that malarkey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

harmoniums wrote: »
    Is there a way to look it up? what barrack it was in, when it was surplussed? all that malarkey?

Try Military archives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

If you can do it, then you will be the first person I've ever heard of that did.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Well as it happens the Irish military archive has just begun to go online.

http://www.militaryarchives.ie/

Not the full archive yet but there's more to come.

You could contact them directly but somehow I doubt there is that level of detail. But you never know. Perhaps there is a record of the initial issue and it's disposal. Certainly every time I was issued with a rifle. I signed for it. Even if the books still survive it would take a lot of trawling.

Put up a picture of it, it'll be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there
    Given the Army's love of record-keeping, especially with serial-numbered items, you can track down anything if you look deep enough and long enough and enoug of the paperwork has survived. It certainly wouldn't have been unknown for a weapon to "live" in one barracks for it's entire career. I knew plenty of oul sweats who could recite "their" rifle numbers and made sure that they were issued the same rifle every time they drew it for duty or the range. I'd say that it would be a tough search but not impossible.

regards
    Stovepipe

Advertisement