Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dealers/traders that would buy my car

Options
  • 05-01-2012 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭

Is there any dealers/traders that would buy my car directly off me?

I have an 07 VW Passat 2.0TDI Highline with low miles that is due a service and an NCT but I am emigrating at the end of the month so rather than me spending money on it now I would just like a dealer to buy it directly of me. Are there any garages in Dublin that do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They will offer thousands below what you would see as fair in most cases. How much are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

mickdw wrote: »
    They will offer thousands below what you would see as fair in most cases. How much are you looking for?

I had a look on carzone and filtered for my model and they seem to be asking for between 12-13k and I would have lower miles (97000km), but I would take less than this as there is a few quid to be spent for a service and NCT but I did just put 4 brand new Dunlops on it

Can you recommend any places that I could give a call to and see what they offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

If you aren't leaving until the end of the month stick it up for sale on donedeal/carzone and price it below most of the other cars and you should see it sell soon enough. You could of course as Mick said try and sell it direct to a dealer but they will offer you way below what you could sell it for privately as they will have a margin to make on it.

I'd have it valeted and put it up for sale privately.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If dealers are selling cars at x price, they're buying for thousands less if you're not buying another car from them.

Get it serviced and valet'd Cost maybe 200. Makes the sale a lot faster and less tyre kickers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I'd guess, OP, you'd be lucky to get €8,000 trade for that car. It should be worth a bit more in a private sale.

• Advertisement

digiman wrote: »

Can you recommend any places that I could give a call to and see what they offer?

You could try http://www.car2cash.ie/ but you will get burned on the price.
    Its possibly the worst way to sell a car in financial terms although it can suit certain situations. They will offer a price that they are guaranteed to get at auction. You could stick it through auction yourself with a reserve that you would be happy with.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

I was gonna say you'd be lucky to get 5K :eek: but as other comments said stick it on donedeal.ie and you'll get a bundle of phone calls it might even be worth spending a few quid to get the nct on it that's what most folks want nowadays. you gotta spend money to make money :D You're lucky it's a diesel that'll stand to you if it were a 2 litre petrol the garages would offer you button if they bothered taking it off you at all. If you're really stuck put it into one of Merlins Auctions with a reserve price you'd be happy with i now a lot of private buyers with money are goin there now and driving up the auction prices:D

good luck wish i was gettin off this sinkin ship :mad:

Here's a glimpse of what you'll be up against :eek:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2530291

leeomurchu wrote: »

Not really seeing as the OP's car is a 2.0TDI Highline and the car in that ad is a base model 1.9TDI with much higher mileage.

For a quick sale though, he is not going to be able to make the best of having a low mileage high spec car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A lot of people would sky from the 2.0 TDI n favour of the 1.9 to be fair.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A lot of people would sky from the 2.0 TDI n favour of the 1.9 to be fair.

Yeah I thought that, but surely OP could get more than €7k for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Trying to sell a pre-2008 2 litre car is very difficult these days. €660 tax means the car is worth €3k less, minimum, before you take account of any yearly depreciation.

Jaysus there's always one :rolleyes: It was a quick search for a ball park price feckin hell.

Here's another with high mileage and a low price I'd say they'd bite your arm off if it had 8k in it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2652221

I've no idea of the extras in original op car but it has no nct that'll be a hard sell in the private market.

Happy :rolleyes:

OP should get an NCT. Should literally walk though if its as genuine as he says it is. New tyres are on the car too so should be no costs involved really.

Jaysus there's always one :rolleyes: It was a quick search for a ball park price feckin hell.

Here's another with high mileage and a low price I'd say they'd bite your arm off if it had 8k in it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2652221

I've no idea of the extras in original op car but it has no nct that'll be a hard sell in the private market.

Happy :rolleyes:

Jeez man calm down I was only pointing out that the car in your link wasn't really like the OP's car no need for the sarcastic rolleyes. Good point about the no NCT though, that makes it worth even less.

Sorry man It's all good rolling eyes were more aimed at the screaming baby behind me :D

Good comment posted a minute ago though spend a lil more and you're into an 08 with a whole different tax bracket :D

Probably raining on op's parade but best of luck to him best get it up and selling quick though Cause I'll guarantee no one's gonna call to the door with 10k and a smile. Wish I were taking off from this sinking ship :mad:

Sorry man It's all good rolling eyes were more aimed at the screaming baby behind me :D

Good comment posted a minute ago though spend a lil more and you're into an 08 with a whole different tax bracket :D

Probably raining on op's parade but best of luck to him best get it up and selling quick though Cause I'll guarantee no one's gonna call to the door with 10k and a smile. Wish I were taking off from this sinking ship :mad:

Yeah no worries.:)

As for the car when I think about it 'tis a 5 year old Passat with 97k km, no NCT and the engine in it is known to have a few problems. Without an NCT the OP is going to struggle to sell it privately for any kind of decent money. I can only recommend and second other posters comments by saying get it through the NCT and then sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Thanks for the comments guys. It would be top of the range with all the extras, has a very fancy bluetooth kit that can be controlled from the steering wheel and look through your numbers on the on board display. Has parking sensors, heated leather seats etc etc. It's in very very good condition on the inside and outside. I'll stick and add up on donedeal/carzone and look into getting it serviced and NCTed. I think I will put it in for 11-12k and see what happens!! but realistically I would take around the 10k mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I'd be happy to get 8k private sale for it

• Advertisement

good luck with it don't let your pride get in the way of a sale but don't give it away either. you might be moving away but I'm sure someone at home could sell it for ya if it wasn't gone by leaving date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

:eek:, mad cheap price, wonder is there a catch, looks fine inside and out looking at the photos.

Book it in for the NCT asap, if you ring them they may be able to arrange a cancellation that you can take in a week or two, otherwise you could be waiting a month or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

thats the place in tipperary that sell the damaged repairables I think

Advertisement