Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the Sq m of this plot?

Options
  • 05-01-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

OK a plot of land, kind of cone shaped, 13 m at one end, 19 m at the other and 117 m long, what is the total Sq m of this area?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Can you clarify the exact shape? Are you talking about a trapezium

Trapezoid.svg

by any chance?

If so the area is just the average of the two sides multiplied by the height, i.e.

[latex] \displaystyle \frac{a+b}{2} \times h [/latex]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

this is the shape

pic5.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Yep, that's a trapezium with:

a = 19 m
    b = 13 m
    h = 117 m

so the area would be:

[latex] \displaystyle \frac{a+b}{2}\times h = \frac{19+13}{2}\times 117 = 1, 872\hbox{ m}^2[/latex]

i.e. nearly half an acre in old money.

I probably should have explained the trapezium shape a bit better. The two sides shown in my last post can be any angle - all you need for a trapezium is two parallel lines (the top and bottom in the pic), and then two straight lines to complete the shape (quadrilateral).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

thanks Michael!

Simon

No bother at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement