Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good restaurant in Portlaoise

Options
  • 05-01-2012 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

As in title a group of 10 is looking for a restaurant to celebrate mom's 70th in Portlaoise or mountmellick,any good recommendation??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NomadicMe

There are a few options in Laois that I can think of
    Portlaoise: Seasons- fantastic food and service with a smile!

If you are willing to go further afield:
    Killenard: The Heritage Spa have a few good restaurant options- the evening meal is reasonably priced and the flavours are fantastic!
    Durrow: Castle Durrow is a fantastic treat- the service is second to none, the atmosphere is very classy and the food is exceptional.

Sorry but I don't know of any in Mountmellick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Hi, mountmellick aint got one but if your intrested in travelling bridge house in tullamore is great spot with great food and nice setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

Spago's for me in the Hertiage hotel in portlaoise town...

Love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

lotdpd wrote: »
    Spago's for me in the Hertiage hotel in portlaoise town...

Love it :)

thats the italian right?

excellent spot. Was there in november with 4 others. Perfect spot. Perfect spot. Good food, service and relaxed atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Mayur - Indian restaurant on main street. Only restaurant worth going to in Portlaoise. If you don't like Indian food then I guess you are up **** creek without a paddle. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

Personally, if you like Indian, you can't beat the Kingfisher in Portlaoise, steaks has to be Kelly's Foundary at the Heritage, Italian - Spagos. I'm not a big fan of any of the Chinese restaurants. Hope your mam has a lovely birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

More opinions here -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056060673&page=2

was in Seasons last night myself - as usual, excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

NomadicMe wrote: »
    Portlaoise: Seasons- fantastic food and service with a smile!
    (

I would disagree, menu looks promising but I didn't enjoy it.

At our table, one was a picky eater, another has allergy issues and both were given quite a hard time by staff, in the guise of <nasty> joking. Picky eater deserved it but the other had no choice but to check ingredients....

Vastly over priced for what we got too.

They were very busy when we were there so maybe that affected things but it really shouldn't, don't take bookings if the Chef can't handle it

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NomadicMe

elusiveguy wrote: »

Pity you feel that way- I used to frequent it (about once a week) and always felt I got value for my money and they have even done specials up for me when I have requested.

As for Indian, I think Kingfisher sucks but there is one in Kilminchy called Indian Prince- best Indian in Laois!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 marknoel78

Thanks for all the reply!! Was thinking about Chinese heard there's one Chinese closed down months ago and now they re-open again,jade cottage a friend told me.small restaurant but lovely food!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

How long are you working there?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

I'm looking for somewhere that's pleasant, cosy and ideal for a relaxed date for food and/or drink. Anyone know somewhere in Portlaoise? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pudzianowski

elusiveguy wrote: »

At our table, one was a picky eater, another has allergy issues and both were given quite a hard time by staff, in the guise of <nasty> joking. Picky eater deserved it but the other had no choice but to check ingredients....

Vastly over priced for what we got too.

They were very busy when we were there so maybe that affected things but it really shouldn't, don't take bookings if the Chef can't handle it

I'd agree, was there a year or so ago with a group for a 30th birthday party, found it very expensive, along with the sarcastic jokes as well.

About a month or so later the same group of us was out for another 30th, went to Kingfisher, when the waiter seen the group (12-14 people) arriving he brought a bottle of red and white wine to the table, stating they were on the house to get us started, food was great.

Also reccomend Mayur, it's reasonable and very good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 swishtrout

the old bank house restaurant in portlaoise is a lovely restaurant and is reasonably priced and friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

Are there any nice pubs in Portlaoise that are cosy and also serve good, reasonable food? Thanks.

Advertisement