Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replace refurb turbo - labour costs?

Options
  • 05-01-2012 4:13pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks
    Sisters turbo went in her renault migraine there Monday.
    Getting a refurb turbo.

She left it to the garage where it broke down and they have quoted her 350 to remove the existing turbo and reinstall the refurb.

What do you make of that quote?
    The lads on turbo.ie where she is getting think its nuts.

How long to take out and replace a turbo?

Could a normal Joe Soap do it?

Turbo.ie mentioned needing the cat converter cleaned also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

There is a big difference between simply swapping a turbo (book time of 3 hours on a Megane) and doing the job properly where time is spent establishing what happened to the old turbo, cleaning up or fixing any issues caused by the turbo failing, eg blocked exhaust or cat, oil in intercooler or boost pipes and checking everything is ok with the engine and turbo after fitting the replacement.

Don't forget that the garage has to stand over their work on the car after it goes back to the owner. I can only speak for myself but whenever I am asked to quote for turbo replacement I am always wary and allow plenty of time for checking everything over. The last thing I want is to fit a turbo and send the car away only for it to return with a repeat failure.This would be doubly awkward if the customer had supplied the turbo themselves as then there would be a third party involved and things could get very messy with the garage blaming your supplier and the supplier blaming the garage, etc.

If you think about is, 3 hours @ €50 per hour plus vat plus new oil and filter and air filter would cover the actual swap. Add in another 2 hours for any checks they want to do and you are in the region of €350. That doesn't seem OTT to me. If you want you can get a chancer to do it for probably €150 cash but then what do you do if it blows up again next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sounds like a fair price tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... you are in the region of €350. ...

Spot on. Its the apparently "peripheral" work that takes the time and as a consequence costs money. It's the difference between a thorough job and a "sure you'll be grand" effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Meganes come with turbos?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ottostreet wrote: »
    Meganes come with turbos?

1.9 Dci

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks lads.
    Will let her know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Ah yes...diesels. I feel retarded now.

Advertisement