Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growling / Snapping

Options
  • 05-01-2012 4:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭

The past year my dog seems to have gotten quiet aggressive, hes mostly playful and loving 90% of the time but if its late and you disturb him say, he would growl and sometimes go to snap. He has biten me once while i was grooming him which really shocked me and ever since then hes seems to think hes in charge even though he was greatly punished for biting me. He sleeps in my room in his bed - i know not good but I live in my brothers house and have had a lot of trouble the past year with housemates coming and going, a lot of them major troublemakers who may have hurt him without me knowing, i thought it safer for me and him to keep him nearby. Sorry to go on a bit but i have recently got him neutured, I've also bought a crate which i'm hoping will help. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, really want to get a behaviorist in but cant afford it right now maybe in a few months. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

We had and occasionally still have this issue with our jack russell (though less and less). On the bed issue, get him a crate, then you can keep him in your room but not on the bed.
    Second don't train him not to growl but rather to be comfortable and accepting of the things he is currently not happy with. So if it's moving him, move him with a treat in hand, if it's going near him on the sofa, same deal.
    Third more training, the sits, stays, come, only allowing him up onto the sofa when you say so, walking.
    Fourth reward all good behaviour, complete all actions that he is unhappy with, and ignore him and perhaps implement time outs for misbehaviour.
    Fourth get some help, it will be €100 well spent.

The reason I say don't train him not to growl etc. is because it is the first warning signal that kids normally take notice of, and will save them and the dog from a bite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭SineadMarie

Thanks very much Barbie Girl will try that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

what bred of dog is he.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

He has biten me once while i was grooming him which really shocked me and ever since then hes seems to think hes in charge even though he was greatly punished for biting me.

What did the punishment entail?
    Many dogs dislike being groomed unless they're been very gently introduced to it. Brushing hurts, especially if there are tangles or tender spots, and some of the grooming brushes can be really, really sore unless they're used with caution (Slicker and Furminator spring to mind)
    So, whilst it may have seemed horrible that your dog bit you while you groomed him, there could well have been mitigating circumstances: the fact that he has been punished greatly now as a result of being groomed will likely not make him view grooming in a more positive light. It's not that he thinks he's "in charge", he's just trying to tell you he's uncomfortable with what you're doing, whether that be grooming, or being disturbed.
    Neutering is unlikely to have much of an effect, and I would see no problem with you having him in your room, although I'd draw the line with him being in your bed, especially if he doesn't like being disturbed.
    Growling and snapping when disturbed is a common enough behaviour, and to put it simply uis the dog asking you to feck off and leave him be! However, there are ways and means around this without getting into a confrontation, barbiegirl has already given good advice about how to deal with it, and also, teach him a command to go to his bed rather than trying to force hiom to get up from where he's lying. It won't happen overnight, but using "hands off" techniques is critical for these problems.
    Is there Cocker or terrier in the mix with this dog?

Getting a behaviourist in does not have to cost the earth and would be money very well spent if you get the right person: I've mentioned it on another thread tonight, there are some very overpriced behaviourists out there, and some very reasonably priced ones.. just because they're expensive does not mean they're any better than the more reasonably priced behaviourists!

Hes a bichon frise. In fairness to him most of the time hes the most loving dog in the world. Punishment was a slap on the nose and i locked him in the downstairs bathroom for a little while. Thanks so much for advice so far. Can anyone recommend a reasonable priced behavourist,i got a no for an orla doherty of my vet heard shes good but expensive !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's Bichon night here tonight! Everyone seems to be having problems with their Bichons!
    Whereabouts are you? A lot of vets, rightly or wrongly, recommend Orla because she's a vet herself. I have heard she's shockin pricey alright. I think you have to go to her too, but often, these problems need to be attended to in the dog's home environment.

Im based in tallaght i asked my vet and they recommended her. They also said she does house calls. Bichons are one of the most expensive dogs to keep hence no money yet lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

We used Emmaline in Citizen Canine. She's €100 for a home visit and she was great.
    http://www.citizencanineireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

would also recommend a girl called Suzi in Positive Dog Training Dublin- highly qualified & very nice to deal with

Advertisement