Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Radios (WiFi) - your opinions?

Options
  • 05-01-2012 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I've been toying with the idea of getting an internet radio, this one to be specific.

I was doing some high street browsing and I noticed the distinct lack of Internet Radios (WiFi) available, especially from the main brands (Sony etc).

However there seem to be plenty of DAB radios out there. Can anyone explain the lack of Internet radio models? For anyone who has one can they tell me what they think of them, are they reliable or do connections drop often (I know the router and ISP are a factor too).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

People who know what an internet radio is and who have the home technology (i.e. wireless broadband) to support one also know how to use a browser to shop for one.

PC World stock several brands of DAB and Internet radio, I agree they're thin on the ground in general electrical shops.

I have an Internet radio (Revo iBlik) and a UPC Router but the radio keeps dropping the connection, I even sent the radio back to the UK for a warranty repair, they sent it back saying they tested it and there was nothing wrong with it.

Check out these brands as well....

http://www.pure.com/internet-radio/
    http://www.revo.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

good point coylemj, but I would have thought the high street shops would be trying to sell more of them and convince the general public these are better alternatives to normal FM radios etc.

I was in PC World yesterday and they had no radios, not that I could see anyway.
    But yes, I'll be making my purchase online.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Hi Run,

Yes, I have that Roberts model above. About 18months or so. It's brilliant. Rarely have drop outs (last about 3/4 seconds if they happen). It's not an issue to be honest. I can stream all my iMac puter music through it up in the bedroom aswell.
    It cranks up a bit aswell.
    Buy one.

....and buy it from Amazon, cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I was in PC World yesterday and they had no radios, not that I could see anyway.

There's normally an aisle with lots of speaker units incorporating iPod docks, you'll find the DAB and Internet radios in the same aisle.
    good point coylemj, but I would have thought the high street shops would be trying to sell more of them and convince the general public these are better alternatives to normal FM radios etc.

But yes, I'll be making my purchase online.

Thereby proving my point, they know people like you and me only go in to 'touch and feel' but then bugger off home and buy online.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Planet X wrote: »
    Hi Run,

Yes, I have that Roberts model above. About 18months or so. It's brilliant. Rarely have drop outs (last about 3/4 seconds if they happen). It's not an issue to be honest. I can stream all my iMac puter music through it up in the bedroom aswell.
    It cranks up a bit aswell.
    Buy one.

....and buy it from Amazon, cheapest.
    I have one of these also and I'm very happy with it. Sound wise, it beats the Roberts Stream 202 hands down, and the USB port is an added bonus.

It does lack in the aesthetics (what were they thinking), but had great sound for the size and well featured setup.

• Advertisement

thanks for the feedback folks, I will definitely go for that model and I've just noticed Amazon are back selling it, until now it was only available from third party sellers, now to wait for pay day after Christmas, damn monthly pay :rolleyes:

byte wrote: »
    It does lack in the aesthetics (what were they thinking), but had great sound for the size and well featured setup.

I think it's quite 80's looking and sure doesn't everything come full circle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

byte wrote: »

I think it's quite 80's looking and sure doesn't everything come full circle :D

An iPod doc would be cool

uberalles wrote: »
    An iPod doc would be cool

ooh no, I hate iPods! If I see an iPod doc on a device I purposely walk on...dunno, I'm stubbornly against iPod (but enjoying the Jobs bio as a Christmas gift :))

Advertisement