Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffees of 2012 (so far).

Options
  • 05-01-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

OK, so I know we are only five day's into the new year but though it might be an idea to have a 'coffee of 2012' thread as might be a good way of finding coffees, based on others recommendations.

To get the ball rolling I would highly recommend Rwanda Kigoma Fully Washed Red Bourbon (HasBean).

It is one of the best filter coffees that I've tasted in a long time. As described by Steve at HasBean it is a lovely light, bright fruity cup. It brings back memories of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe.

If you get a chance give it a try.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

nice idea. ill 2nd that Rwanda Kigoma Fully Washed Red Bourbon. it is one of my top 3 at the moment. i tried it because the Rwanda Musasa Corp was so good but not available. so both recent rwanda coffes were great.

my other would be the Kenya Mukui AA

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'll 3rd the Rwanda nicest cup I've tasted in a long time.

in my latest batch i got Colombia Oporapa to try it and its top of my list now. its a good price too at 4.10£

I've mostly been buying the Rwanda I just can't get enough of it :)

I have some organic beans that were picked up in bali i'm looking forward to taste.

Will be starting new sub soon so we'll see what delights that brings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just a note on what I've been drinking so far this year

From Has bean I've had the following:

Jabberwocky Espresso Blend Mk1 2012

This is tasty as always, my favourite espresso blend from Hasbean

Rwanda Kigoma Fully Washed Red Bourbon

I got this based on the recommendation above.I thought it was ok as an espresso, not terrible but certainly not great. I agree that it is wonderful as a filter, though I had to settle for using it in the French Press.

Colombia Oporapa

I'm currently drinking this. Again I think it works better as a filter, the espresso is good, but I don't think I've had the best of it yet. I'm still experimenting with it though, so I'll reserve judgement for the moment :)

Colombia Finca Santuario Heliconias Red Bourbon 2012

I did a class up at 3FE earelier in the month and I got this bag to take away, havn't opened it yet but I have to say I'm really looking forward to it.

El Salvador Finca Argentina Natural 2011-2012 Crop

Just ordered this today, hope it will be as good as it sounds...

Bolivia Finca Machacamarca de Berengula 2012

And while I was there I just couldn't resist ordering the 2012 version of this wonderful coffee !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Toff

Just got a bag of Has Bean Bolivian Organic Copacabana. Absolutely delicious in aeropress. Took me three brews to get my recipe down, but I get such a lingering, bright citrus aftertaste, which is what I really appreciate in a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dakar

I'm enjoying 2012 so far. I had one of those eureka moments where it all just seemed to click. I finally got my Classic running right (thanks for all the tips btw), got a VST basket, a decent tamper and some fresh beans from hasbean and it all fell into place.

Loving the Konga Peaberry, I'm tasting flavours I never thought possible in an espresso before, rich soft fruitfilled loveliness.

Enjoying the Machacamarca too, maybe not quite as much, but still gorgeous, caramelly and sweet but with a little more bite.

Now that I seem to have gotten the hang of it, I'm looking forward to exploring other beans/blends/roasters. Bring it on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I just wanted to make quick point about coffee angel and Nicks espresso,

Recently I've bought a bag of each and I have to say I've loved both of them, they both produce really high quality espresso blends and we are lucky to have them both operating in Dublin. While there are great options available online there are also great options available locally too.

Need some new coffee's to try. Looking for 1 recommendation for espresso and one for filter,

If you have had something recently that was was really good then let me know.

I am currently drinking this from has bean

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Bolivia-Finca-Canton-Uyunense-2012-Organic-UK6-Certified.html

and this from square mile:

http://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/products/red-brick-3-5

I was thinking of checking out .jamesgourmetcoffee.com, has anyone ordered from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Toff

Bolinda Illimani from hasbean is wonderful in filter. I use aeropress. If you dial it in just right, you'll get this wonderful bright ringing aftertaste. I had it in Roasted Brown one day and noticed a hint of fruitiness right before the aftertaste, which I can't replicate with my setup. Otherwise it tasted roughly the same.
    Edit: I actually had Loyaza in there, nvm. Another fine coffee though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

For espresso I picked up a couple of bags of Brazil Fazenda Sao Judas Tadeu Pulped Natural from 3FE last week. Everyone thats tried it has been blown away by the sweetness - though I find it stands out more as an espresso than with milk. To be honest its got me back using the espresso machine again after becoming obsessed with filter over the past 3 mths.
    http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Brazil-Fazenda-Sao-Judas-Tadeu-Pulped-Natural-Bahia-Quality-Competition-2011.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Dahtac

Hasbean's Santuario Galpon. In a word, satisfying

The Toff wrote: »
    Bolinda Illimani from hasbean is wonderful in filter. I use aeropress. If you dial it in just right, you'll get this wonderful bright ringing aftertaste. I had it in Roasted Brown one day and noticed a hint of fruitiness right before the aftertaste, which I can't replicate with my setup. Otherwise it tasted roughly the same.
    Edit: I actually had Loyaza in there, nvm. Another fine coffee though!

Yeah I was looking at that one alright I might pick one p in my next order and that Loyaza looks great too!!
    donnacha wrote: »
    For espresso I picked up a couple of bags of Brazil Fazenda Sao Judas Tadeu Pulped Natural from 3FE last week. Everyone thats tried it has been blown away by the sweetness - though I find it stands out more as an espresso than with milk. To be honest its got me back using the espresso machine again after becoming obsessed with filter over the past 3 mths.
    http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Brazil-Fazenda-Sao-Judas-Tadeu-Pulped-Natural-Bahia-Quality-Competition-2011.html

I actually had a bag of this from 3FE recently too. Great espresso and I thought great cappa too.
    Dahtac wrote: »
    Hasbean's Santuario Galpon. In a word, satisfying

Interesting, I take it you are suggesting this for filter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Dahtac

I have personally only made it as filter, and it is gooood.

Also hve had it as espresso and it is very damn impressive there too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

The Loayza is great, its what I was planning to use for the home barista competition.
    I've been going for a shot of 19g in, 30g out in 29 seconds and its been fantastic.

Yeah, looks good all right.

anyone noticed a change in hasbean roasting? im finding my last last 2 batches are a slightly darker roast and hence more bitter. not quite as good as previous.

anyone noticed a change in hasbean roasting? im finding my last last 2 batches are a slightly darker roast and hence more bitter. not quite as good as previous.

I've only had one bag recently from peru and I don't really drink much coffee from here so can't really say.

maybe pop steve a mail i'm sure he be glad of the feedback

Ordered a few coffees from Jamesgourmetcoffee.com this morning.

I like the way they roast for espresso or filter or whatever rather than just roasting the same way for all brew styles.

I dislike the way they only roast on specific days.

Decided I would like to broaden my horizons a little when it comes to roasters.

Has anyone used them or can they recommend any other roasters apart from the usual suspects.

Anyway I ordered the following:

http://www.jamesgourmetcoffee.com/product.php/649/bolivian-finca-espinoza-illimani--filter-roast

http://www.jamesgourmetcoffee.com/product.php/654/lot-206-sao-benedito-farm-el-carmo-minas-gerais--espresso-profile/9162a1a4e215a84d94c8582b9ffc8dc5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

adrian522 wrote: »

I like the way they roast for espresso or filter or whatever rather than just roasting the same way for all brew styles.

Has anyone used them or can they recommend any other roasters apart from the usual suspects.

http://www.jamesgourmetcoffee.com/product.php/649/bolivian-finca-espinoza-illimani--filter-roast

http://www.jamesgourmetcoffee.com/product.php/654/lot-206-sao-benedito-farm-el-carmo-minas-gerais--espresso-profile/9162a1a4e215a84d94c8582b9ffc8dc5

Thanks for the suggestion Adrian, have been looking for an alternative to hasbean for a while, just ordered their San Benedito (Lot 206) for filter & their Formula 6 for espresso. Will post my thoughts on then once I try them.

• Advertisement

Has anyone used them

I was a mthly subscriber with them for 2 years - got some real gems along the way. They also always posted late in the month which suited me as I had a squaremile sub which tends to land 1st week of the month.

The downside is that they don't give any info on the coffees that you get in your subscription - something I love about squaremile and the hasbean inmymug subs. I also found their roast profile a little green for my taste on more than one occasion.
    recommend any other roasters apart from the usual suspects

Once my current subs run out I'd planned on giving Bailies a go as a few people have recommended them: http://bailiescoffee.com/
    Colin in 3FE won his 1st Irish Barista Championship using a blend roasted by them. I'm pretty sure bailies do the roasting for Karl at Coffeeangel.

I have to say I'm, loving the Sao Benedito above. Maybe it's because I haven't had espresso in a while but it is really good.

The roast profile seems perfect and is a little darker than what you may find elsewhere. The coffee has some incredible nutty flavours (to my palette anyway).

Only issue with roasting on Thursday is that the coffee doesn't arrive till Monday. Maybe better oredering on Monday for the roast on Tuesday.

I have to say I'm, loving the Sao Benedito above. Maybe it's because I haven't had espresso in a while but it is really good.

The roast profile seems perfect and is a little darker than what you may find elsewhere. The coffee has some incredible nutty flavours (to my palette anyway).

Only issue with roasting on Thursday is that the coffee doesn't arrive till Monday. Maybe better oredering on Monday for the roast on Tuesday.

Might order some of that in a couple of weeks so lonce I've got through my current espresso stocks :D

I wouldn't worry too much a thursday roast landing on a monday - its probably still a bit early as they need to degas, and if you are doing any latte art etc your probably better waiting a week so the crema isn't bubbly.

donnacha wrote: »
    Might order some of that in a couple of weeks so lonce I've got through my current espresso stocks :D

I wouldn't worry too much a thursday roast landing on a monday - its probably still a bit early as they need to degas, and if you are doing any latte art etc your probably better waiting a week so the crema isn't bubbly.

Yeah, I just left myself short over the weekend :eek:

I think coffeeangel have the same stuff:

http://coffeeangel.com/product/sao-benedito-brazil-250g/

Though that maybe the Filter profile rather than the espresso profile.

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/El-Salvador-Finca-Santa-Petronas-Washed-Pacamara-2012.html

The above coffee looks good and on facebook there is a code to get £2 off if anyone is interested (code expires tonight)/
    santacomesearly

Looks like I got this coffee as part of my subscription, so I'll have 2 bags of it...

Advertisement