Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questioning photographs as Primary sources

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Any primary source by itself has a foundation of one support. For instance the infamous series of photos showing Lenin addressing a revolutionary crowd where the old bolshiveicks were removed person by person as they fell out of favour. This occurred long before photographs.
    My opinion is that visual representations are an excellent primary source, but it is always necessary to have the historical context as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

In my opinion, any form of digitised photograph is questionable as a primary source.
    Original photographic prints, on the other hand, are invaluable as a primary source.

In the past, if a photograph was to be used in evidence, it was a legal requirement to have the person who developed the film present in court to vouch for its authenticity.
    I wonder what the legal requirements are today with digital photography as a form of evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Manach wrote: »
    My opinion is that visual representations are an excellent primary source, but it is always necessary to have the historical context as well.

+1. There is also the example of the nurse who was airbrushed out of P Pearse's surrender.
    P.

Advertisement