Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp question (with a twist!)

Options
  • 05-01-2012 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,
    I've treated damp in the past with no issues, but I am renting a house with a damp problem and I have it under control except for one room. I believe there is damp behind the wardrobe , but the wardrobe cannot be moved! Its extremely heavy, and even with oth of us trying to move it, it just won't move an inch.

I have put a cylinder radiator into the wardrobe which protects the clothes from mildew, and no new mldew has grown on the wardrobe.

My question is if there is some kind of treatment I can use to kill what is on the wall behind the wardrobe? I just can't think of any way to get rid of the problem!

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There are sprays available for treating moulds and mildew - but these only treat the symptoms, not the cause.
    You don't want to have to live with the smell of these anti-fungal agents.
    Spraying this stuff is not something you should have to do.
    It is quite possible that the wardrobe was put there to cover up a problem.

The landlord really needs to deal with the cause of the damp.
    You need to bring the problem to his/her attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cabal

Cheers for the advice slowburner!

The landlords track record would suggest nothing will be done - don't get me wrong they've been very helpful about certain issues, but really dragged their heels on others eg. Leaking windows.

I'm going to give a dehumidifier a go and see how we get on.

Cheers!

Advertisement