Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightroom question

Options
  • 05-01-2012 5:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

Just got some extra RAM for my laptop so now I can run lightroom without waiting an age for photos to load. Anyway, I imported my photos yesterday to lightroom. Photos are taken by a D90 and are stored on an external USB drive. They are stored in RAW format.What i noticed is that if I go to a photo and open it,it refines so that the photos will be displayed. Some from a pixelated photo we get the proper resolution. However, for a second everything is fine but then it refines again for another second and the photo looks different, as if it has gone though an image processor of some sort, temperature, shadows, highlights look different. So what gives. Is the lightroom showing me the actual raw image or is this lightroom making a copy of the raw image and showing me the post processed jpeg version.

Similar happens in Picassa and I know this is kind what happens there, just thought that lightroom would be different.

Any ideas on how to reverse this refinement and work with the photos as taken orgininally?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Wamble

I just noticed this the other day too!
    Same thing - colour, temperature etc all changed slightly.
    That split second is the image I want (original RAW file, I assume)
    I'm using Lightroom 3.2 and a Canon 60D.

Sorry, no idea why it's happening. Very curious myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Lightroom has some "default" settings, which it applies to an image upon display. This would be something like "brightness 50, Contrast 20", and there are a few other bits. You would need to set up your own processing default, and apply that upon import.

With regards to the preview and such, when Lightroom opens it will read it's image preview cache (if it has one). The size of this depends on your settings. After it displays that, it will read the actual file. A third read is taken then of the xmp with the file, to see if any changes have been made to the image.

Hopefully that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Is it showing the embedded jpeg preview, with all of the camera settings applied?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Should it not just show the image as originally take by the user? Not really impressed that it changes the image around like this.

Embedded jpeg preview? What is that. The images are taken in RAW so will it show that or a jpeg preview.

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but the way I see it is; you first see the embedded jpeg preview (but only briefly, as the image loads), then the RAW file and finally the RAW file with the pre-set basic adjustments applied. As Paulw says above - look at the contrast slider, it's usually bumped up to 25 for RAW images.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

You could also try rebuilding the database and erasing all the previews and rebuilding them at whatever resolution you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

You can apply the "Zeroed" preset on import if you initially just want to see the untouched version of the image. It may add some time to the import process though.

OK cheers for the help.Is there a way for you to apply what you see on the jpeg preview to the raw image and is there a way to do this for a batch or group of images.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭nilhg

jank wrote: »
    OK cheers for the help.Is there a way for you to apply what you see on the jpeg preview to the raw image and is there a way to do this for a batch or group of images.

At the risk of being smart, you could shoot RAW+jpeg and just use the jpeg?

The long answer really depends on your camera and the way you had it set up, if you take a look at the camera calibration area of the develop panel and the profile area in there you may find some presets in there that will give you a quick way to get the look you want, depends on the camera model though.

Otherwise get one image the way you want it and save the settings as a preset.

Advertisement