Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sore jaw..

Options
  • 05-01-2012 3:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

For the last number of months I have had a sore jaw and ear. The ear canal feels very sore and it seems to easy when I click my jaw. It's really starting to get very painful now.

I was wondering who too see? Doctor or Dentist. I don't have that much money and I don't want one to say to go to the other and cost me hundreds of euros..

Has anyone any ideas what it is ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I've quite bad (well my diagnosis of bad) clicking in my left jaw right on the ear-line. The consultant told me (-and this is not a diagnosis of your problem-) that it was clenching my teeth, especially during sleep.

I was recommended to wear a mouth guard, a cheap rugby one for a month to see did it ease the problem but unfortunately it didn't. I'm going back for another check up in the hospital on the 11th.

I initally went to my GP because haven't been to dentist in nearly 3 years, I'm 19. She was very good and passed me on for a hospital appointment with a consultant straight away, got called within 3 months?

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Leeg17 wrote: »
    I was recommended to wear a mouth guard, a cheap rugby one for a month to see did it ease the problem but unfortunately it didn't.

Do not wear a soft home made splint it will make you problem worse, inducing more clenching, this is why internet is not always correct as things that are logical are often not correct, go see a dentist for diagnosis and treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Do not wear a soft home made splint it will make you problem worse, inducing more clenching, this is why internet is not always correct as things that are logical are often not correct, go see a dentist for diagnosis and treatment.

This was the recommendation from the consultant/doctor at the hospital, he said try a cheap rugby one (instead of spending €X on a dentist's moulded one) and see if it helps before coming back to him and seeing if it improves (and possibly looking at a custom made one).

Back on topic, OP go to either your doctor/dentist, both will help accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Dentists know a small bit about medicine, doctors no nothing about the jaws and teeth. But to tell you the truth a lot of dentists still use these soft splints, there cheap, easy to make and easy to accept for patients as their cheap and comfortable. They occasionally have uses but most of the time they make matters worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 whalemeat27

msg11 wrote: »
    For the last number of months I have had a sore jaw and ear. The ear canal feels very sore and it seems to easy when I click my jaw. It's really starting to get very painful now.

I was wondering who too see? Doctor or Dentist. I don't have that much money and I don't want one to say to go to the other and cost me hundreds of euros..

Has anyone any ideas what it is ?

I am suffering from the seem symptoms as yourself. Do you find your hearing is kinda weird too??

i went to the doctor, was giving ear drops!! not worth a ****!! not sure what to do now ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I am suffering from the seem symptoms as yourself. Do you find your hearing is kinda weird too??

i went to the doctor, was giving ear drops!! not worth a ****!! not sure what to do now ....

My hearing is like 50% of my left ear which is 100%.. I think I am gonna have to go the dentist , I feel like I am going deaf in my ear. When I rub my thounge up the back of my mouth, there's like a hard lump covered over by my gum? How much is too go the dentist and check this out, and can't really afford that much and the government took away my PRSI, I would have gone months ago if I still had my PRSI, now I think the damage may be worse and I don't want to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Well booked in there, 45 Euro. Said my PRSI should cover it..

Advertisement