Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Teeth

Options
  • 05-01-2012 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Hi there, well my teeth are very bad..most of them havent grown..they are tiny..there are gaps in between most of them..Also when I look into the back of my mouth I see a load black holes.Anytime I talk to someone I try to keep my mouth closed as much as possible..Sometimes I cover my teeth with my hand by rubbing over my mouth..Why havent they grown..why is there so many gaps..I am 20 now like..Would it take a lot to make them perfect. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Make an appointment with a dentist and get a quote for the work. There might be a chance that they can be repaired.

If your only 20 now and already covering your mouth talking to people it must be affecting your confidence. Don't for your own sake leave it to long you'll feel a hell of a lot better when its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BMRising

This ^^
    Mine are pretty overcrowded and I have been in braces for three weeks now. But I'm 26 and I wish to god I'd gotten it done sooner. If you can afford it, just do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

BMRising wrote: »
    This ^^
    Mine are pretty overcrowded and I have been in braces for three weeks now. But I'm 26 and I wish to god I'd gotten it done sooner. If you can afford it, just do it.

How much did it cost you? No offence to you or anyone else but I would never wear braces. Just something I dont want to do..Any other way of doing this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Kxiii wrote: »
    Make an appointment with a dentist and get a quote for the work. There might be a chance that they can be repaired.

If your only 20 now and already covering your mouth talking to people it must be affecting your confidence. Don't for your own sake leave it to long you'll feel a hell of a lot better when its done.

Thanks..ya it does some bit. Could it be done in a short period..say 6-12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

closeline wrote: »
    Thanks..ya it does some bit. Could it be done in a short period..say 6-12 months?

With a good dentist you could have it all sorted in less than six months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 BMRising

How much did it cost you? No offence to you or anyone else but I would never wear braces. Just something I dont want to do..Any other way of doing this??

It is costing me 5200 with a down payment of about 1000 and monthly payments of 200 thereafter until I am finished.

I thought for a long time - at your age - that I would never get braces as well, probably for the same reasons. But as the years go on your teeth don't start bothering you less, but more! That's what I found anyway. I was becoming fixated on them and it was really bringing my self confidence down. I was really jealous of other people's teeth who had braces at a younger age and I just decided that even though I would worry about how braces looked when I had them, I was already worrying about how my teeth looked all the time so I might as well be worrying while something was being done to improve them rather than things just getting worse all the time! If I got braces when my teeth first really started to bother me I'd be done by now, instead I have about 18 months to go!

The braces are not even that noticeable, I had myself well trained to cover my teeth as much as possible with my lips when I spoke before I got braces, and the ones I have are ceramics with a white arch wire so really it's not that much of a big deal - obviously people notice but they don't care and are probably far too busy worrying about their own insecurities. I have actually found it really funny how many people have crazy braces stories from their youth that they are now willing to tell me, i.e. I had 8 teeth removed, I had to wear headgear to school, I was born missing my pre-molars etc, and they only tell you these stories once you have braces yourself! But it does help because you realise pretty quick that it's likely most people you know either had them at one stage, wish they'd gotten them when they were younger, or wish they could afford to get them now. It's just not something people generally talk about unless they have a reason to, like their friend (me!) getting braces! And most of them are like "I didn't think you needed them" or "I never noticed anything wrong with your teeth" so it is obvious that braced or not, you are your own worst critic when it comes to teeth and being self conscious!

If you are really against them I'm not sure what your other options are - some posters on this forum would definitely be able to advise better than me. The Simon Cowell route to perfect teeth is a full set of veneers, probably costing you twice the amount that braces do and they have to be replaced eventually as well, at the same price.

Whatever you decide to do, I think it's a good idea to do something. It is surprising how much being ashamed of your teeth can bring down your confidence. I just keep saying to myself, whenever the braces bug me, that I will have perfectly straight teeth one day and that was never something I could say to myself before I had them on. I can't wait to get them off and get my teeth whitened and finally start opening my mouth in photographs!

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

Thats what I thought when I was 17. But I got them-had braces all through college.

Now Im a hot momma !!!

Advertisement