Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting query

Options
  • 05-01-2012 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi there,

Just have a few questions to ask. Im about to move into a new apartment in the next two weeks. I have yet to sign the contract but my landlord wants my parents to sign it for me because I am 19 years old. Im just wondering is he allowed to do that seeing as I am over the age of 18 ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Since you are moving out of home, the landlord probably wants your parents to sign it as a sort of reference. There's really no reason to refuse it unless you're going to thrash the place, Don't do that :P

Once you leave this apartment, the next landlord will want a reference from the old one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GRosM

Thanks for the reply. Oh was just wondering because I am moving in with 4 others ranging from 19yrs-21yrs and he wants all parents to sign it, but we dont intend on thrashing the place so there's no problem signing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

GRosM wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Oh was just wondering because I am moving in with 4 others ranging from 19yrs-21yrs and he wants all parents to sign it, but we dont intend on thrashing the place so there's no problem signing it :)

No Bother, good luck with the move, living out of home for the first time is a blast :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

My Current Landlord Asked me for that.

She humbly withdrew the request when i reminded her i was 26

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It is interesting to see if the contract you sign would obligate your parents to be responsible for damages or breaking of the lease by you or the other tenants.

If so, your folks would be insane to sign it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement