Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Standing water in car.

Options
  • 04-01-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

My car seems to have accumulated some water in it which I presume is mostly from condensation in the car. This has completely soaked the carpets and there's good bit of water in there.

Now I know how bad this can be as it'll rust the car's floor pan and the only positive thing about my car being its relatively rust free body for its age, its something I'ld like to preserve.

So do you guys have a good idea how to remove the water held in the completely soaked carpets of my car? I tried vaccuming it but that didn't really work... So anyone can help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Dehumidifier after a wet/dry vac.

If there's a lot you probably have a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I don't have a dehumidifier... Any other way I could do this without buying one? I don't think I have a wet/dry vac either... just a normal dyson yoke...

My car does have a small leak as I noticed some water on the passenger side the couple of times after I took it through a car wash but never noticed any rain coming in. It does get a lot of condensation though. Almost every morning (except for on fairly warm summer days) all the windows of the car are completely covered in condensation and it takes forever to clear... Didn't drive my car for a couple of weeks over the winter so it possibly accumulated over then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

My car seems to have accumulated some water in it which I presume is mostly from condensation in the car. This has completely soaked the carpets and there's good bit of water in there.

Now I know how bad this can be as it'll rust the car's floor pan and the only positive thing about my car being its relatively rust free body for its age, its something I'ld like to preserve.

So do you guys have a good idea how to remove the water held in the completely soaked carpets of my car? I tried vaccuming it but that didn't really work... So anyone can help?

Its not a mk4 golf it is?

Whatever car it is, first thing to check is the coolant level to rule out a leaking heater matrix as carpet being that wet would not be caused by condensation. Its likely that the fact that the carpets are wet for whatever reason is causing the condensation on the windows, rather then the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

You can rent both, although Aldi have them for about €40 at the moment I think. A small leak will just sit there and build up. Could be a new doorstop seal required.

Also, could be caused by clogged drain channels or pollen filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wouldnt go sucking up water with a standard dyson

• Advertisement

Whatever car it is, first thing to check is the coolant level to rule out a leaking heater matrix as carpet being that wet would not be caused by condensation.

It a Ford Puma.

Nope coolant level is fine. Keep checking it regularly.
    Most of the water was by the rear passenger seat so I have to presume its condensation as a leaking coolant/heater matrix should be more at the passenger side... Unless there is something else going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

drill a small hole in floor of car

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

I don't have a dehumidifier... Any other way I could do this without buying one? I don't think I have a wet/dry vac either... just a normal dyson yoke...

My car does have a small leak as I noticed some water on the passenger side the couple of times after I took it through a car wash but never noticed any rain coming in. It does get a lot of condensation though. Almost every morning (except for on fairly warm summer days) all the windows of the car are completely covered in condensation and it takes forever to clear... Didn't drive my car for a couple of weeks over the winter so it possibly accumulated over then.

You dont/wont have a Vacuum either if you used on soaking wet carpets :D

My car does have a small leak as I noticed some water on the passenger side the couple of times after I took it through a car wash but never noticed any rain coming in.......................
    ............... I have to presume its condensation ................ Unless there is something else going on...

I'd be presuming 'tis a leak to be honest :)
    Happy New Year too btw ;)

^Happy new year roverjames!
    mickdw wrote: »
    I wouldnt go sucking up water with a standard dyson

Which is why I used the vaccum at a petrol station to see if it worked...

It could be worn seals...

anyway, ye guys know where I could get like small wet vacuum I can use in the car? Or maybe where I could rent one? I really need to get this water out before it badly rusts the floor...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Id go with the aldi dehumidifer. Nice price and handy actually VERY handy around the house!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You've a leak OP.

Find it, and then fix it.

If you can't find the leak clean all your door seals of dirt and grime and use rubber and nylon lubricant on them to replenish them a bit, might help things, won't do any harm anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

anyway, ye guys know where I could get like small wet vacuum I can use in the car? Or maybe where I could rent one? I really need to get this water out before it badly rusts the floor...

Soak it up with a sponge? Persistanse should get it pretty dry. Mind you, I'm guessing a leak or knackered seal somewhere, in which case it will probably be as bad as ever come next downpour...which lets face it is never too far away in Ireland:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The condensation is caused by the water already in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Just gonna slip in here, my passenger floor is wet, my heater makes a funny noise sometimes when it's on, but the coolant level hasn't dropped a bit and there's no smell in the car of coolant. Someone said it could be from when I changed the cabin filter?

To the OP, Halfords have perfectly good dehumidifiers for 6.50 IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Just gonna slip in here, my passenger floor is wet, my heater makes a funny noise sometimes when it's on, but the coolant level hasn't dropped a bit and there's no smell in the car of coolant. Someone said it could be from when I changed the cabin filter?

To the OP, Halfords have perfectly good dehumidifiers for 6.50 IIRC.

The cabin filter just filters air, so it can't any water build up in the car.

The golfs can suffer leaking door seals so that may well be the source.

The cabin filter just filters air, so it can't any water build up in the car.

The golfs can suffer leaking door seals so that may well be the source.

No what I meant was I may have not but the cover back on correctly and water is leaking through. So I've heard anyway.

I'll try removing the carpets and see if i can dry it off with a sponge/kitchen towels first... Failing that i might have to make a trip to halfords... Would also check the seals around the doors though they look fine to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get an assistant to spray the car with a hose while you sit inside and look for the leak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I'll try removing the carpets and see if i can dry it off with a sponge/kitchen towels first... Failing that i might have to make a trip to halfords... Would also check the seals around the doors though they look fine to me...
    I'd get a dehumidifier before stripping the interior. It's time consuming to do

If we can find a plug at the meet on the 21st I'll gladly bring my "George" wet vac hoover along!

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I'd get a dehumidifier before stripping the interior. It's time consuming to do

I remember seeing it been done on a Range Rover, the under floor sound deadening was so thick and absolutely drenched as a sponge. Not a fun job but it finally got rid of that damp smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Yes,
    If the cabin filter cover is not fitted 100% it will leak.
    Other than that, When you open the passenger door is there a big puddle on the sill?
    Compare it with the drivers side.
    If it is a 4 door check the rears as well, They are noted for leaking between the door and inner panel on the Mk4 platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

See if you can pull out as many of the carpets as possible (the ones that are easy to pull up and replace) and have a good look around the floorpan, and pedal area. As you say it is nearly constant, you may have water getting in through the doors/window seals, or a hole, missing or perished grommet somewhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Soak it up as much as you can with rags.
    If you don't have a dehumidifier, you can stick a small fan heater in there.
    With that a few words of caution:
    You will need an extension lead running to your car. Keep any sockets inside the house and inside that car, so no connections can get wet.
    Having a heater running inside a car is obviously a fire hazard, make sure it doesn't lean against any fabric, can't fall over or isn't covered.
    Keep an eye on the car as it runs, just to be sure.
    I have often dried out cars this way, I would point the blower at the wet patch and just leave it run for a few hours. Works a treat.

If you have puddles of water in your car, you have a leak.
    Also, with that much water, you may have to take out the interior and carpets to properly dry it out and have a look at your floor pans.
    Leaks can be a bitch to find, once had a Focus and despite stripping out the interior, setting up a sprinkler and sitting inside the car for hours, I could not find the leak. Not a single drop came out.
    But after one shower I had a pond in it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Just checked their website and nothing with dehumidifier came up. Though that doesnt mean they dont have them...

I've a leaf problem myself...

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Check the top of the passenger door when its raining. The doors can be off centre if hit by a strong wind while open and can stop the seal closing. There are also two drainage outlets just under the windscreen. Make sure they are not blocked.

vectra wrote: »
    Yes,
    If the cabin filter cover is not fitted 100% it will leak.
    Other than that, When you open the passenger door is there a big puddle on the sill?
    Compare it with the drivers side.
    If it is a 4 door check the rears as well, They are noted for leaking between the door and inner panel on the Mk4 platform.

Just to passenger front, no where else is wet at all. It's odd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Just to passenger front, no where else is wet at all. It's odd

Most likely Cabin filter.. check it again.

After it pi$$es rain open the passenger door and note if there is a lot of water on the sill, if there is then it needs seailing on your inner door panel

Advertisement