Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragonfly in Apt...

Options
  • 04-01-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Happy new year to everybody and their beloved pets!...came home today after new year break and discovered a dragonfly in my apt...he went into hiding but i'm a bit freaked out...(coward)..how do you "entice" a dragonfly out of hiding, do they go for dark corners or bright lights....one of us has to go and he has drawn the short straw!...any advice would be much appreciated..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Is this in Ireland?
    Dragonflies don't overwinter as adults in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭suzzi

Mothman wrote: »
    Is this in Ireland?
    Dragonflies don't overwinter as adults in Ireland.

yes, in dublin..now i can't find him, do they sting mothman?...thanks!

No, Dragonflies don't sting or bite.
    I very much doubt it is one...but if it is one, it would be of significant interest in nature circles, so don't dispose of it :) despite your possible desire to do so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cdublin

Its been one of the mildest winters on record so that may explain him still kicking around. If your down around places like Skerries in the summer you see lots of them and they are beautiful.

• Advertisement

No, Dragonflies don't sting or bite.
    I very much doubt it is one...but if it is one, it would be of significant interest in nature circles, so don't dispose of it :) despite your possible desire to do so :)

thanks for that, mothman!...it was a dragonfly - the cat was stalking it when i saw it but it has gone into hiding - i haven't opened the balcony door as the wind is howling here but how to catch? as he is here somewhere. :confused:

ps. and as for pics....boy, did he move when spotted!..

Perhaps the cat got it...

I don't think any dragonflies have ever been seen in January in Ireland.

Would you describe the colour. I was going to ask for size but even a small one is large :)

They are reasonably robust but don't try catch it by hand. Try get it into a large jar when at the window. It can be kept in the fridge. It won't move with the cold and dark

Please don't let it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cdublin

Hi Mothman,

You mentioned not to catch one by hand. Is this because they are easily damaged or because they could sting in some way?

Easily damaged. They have a softish body. They can be held by the closed wings, but particularly with a large dragonfly it can be hard to get wings closed. They are robust and if flapping about in a jar, little harm will come to it.

Perhaps the cat got it...

I don't think any dragonflies have ever been seen in January in Ireland.

Would you describe the colour. I was going to ask for size but even a small one is large :)

They are reasonably robust but don't try catch it by hand. Try get it into a large jar when at the window. It can be kept in the fridge. It won't move with the cold and dark

Please don't let it out :)

no, definitely the cat didn't get it...she's too nervous of anything...it was kinda royal blue?..and about inch body, there is no way i am going to get it in a jar (phobia - daddylonglegs, me locked in room by evil cousin, aged about 8). i've been keeping the room dark and one corner bright - thought i would track it but jar it?...have being looking them up, no idea where he came from - now i have visions of lava and babies....sorry for being such a wuz..thanks though, bit like the exorcist at the mo, head spinning around the room - do they make noise when they move?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Do you live near water Suzzi?
    Size and colour make me think it could be a damselfly. Either way, it must be really unusual for a dragonfly or damselfly to go inside a house, let alone in the middle of an Irish winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Azure damselfly perhaps? (Correction: Common Blue as per below)

azure-damselfly-3-600px.jpg

DBB wrote: »
    Do you live near water Suzzi?
    Size and colour make me think it could be a damselfly. Either way, it must be really unusual for a dragonfly or damselfly to go inside a house, let alone in the middle of an Irish winter!

thanks dbb, in clontarf, close to the water - apologies for my ignorance - how would my "guest" get in? chimney?..the apt was cold as i was not here - are they attracted by dark - i had the curtains and blinds closed. :)

really appreciate the comments - thanks to all.

that's him/her.......m'lord!....

suzzi wrote: »
    thanks dbb, in clontarf, close to the water - apologies for my ignorance - how would my "guest" get in? chimney?..the apt was cold as i was not here - are they attracted by dark - i had the curtains and blinds closed. :)

really appreciate the comments - thanks to all.

They live and breed close to water, usually calm water like ponds, canals and slow-flowing sections of rivers with reeds and emergent plants. They don't hang out in saltwater areas, but freshwater, so I wonder is there a pond near you? Clontarf Castle or St. Anne's maybe?
    I don't think they fly by night, but open to correction on this. I'd guess this fella has been in your apartment since the summer maybe? Perhaps found himself a quiet, secluded spot inside?
    Maybe he came out to see had Santa come:P

haha dbb....perhaps he could have. still waiting for santa myself! - now a couple of suggestions?

1. apt water tanks replaced in oct/nov - apt flooded next door to me - would he have "nested" there....(sorry if my language is not appropriate)
    2. the apt has been on/off vacant since the summer - would he have been here that long?

haha dbb....perhaps he could have. still waiting for santa myself! - now a couple of suggestions?

1. apt water tanks replaced in oct/nov - apt flooded next door to me - would he have "nested" there....(sorry if my language is not appropriate)
    2. the apt has been on/off vacant since the summer - would he have been here that long?

Hi Suzzi,
    I wouldn't have thought the water tank has anything to do with him being with you, as they go for water in a natural setting. Their young hatch, live and feed in calm, "natural" water such as ponds, canals and slow-moving rivers (I know canals aren't "natural" as such, but they do provide a natural habitat and ecosystem for aquatic bugs and beasts!), and the adults hang around these types of water courses in order to breed, but I've never heard of them using water tanks for any of the above.
    I shouldn't have said summer, it's be more like late autumn/early winter that this fella may have made his way into your apartment, so he has probably only been there a couple of months, in a sort of hibernation, waiting for next spring to head off and start a fmaily!

well dbb, he chose well - tranquil is my middle name!..so i leave him to rest?....can't believe i have a lodger?...food/water?..what does he eat?...if he starts flapping about i'll have to do a runner!...

They're not particularly flappy, as insects go!
    I don't think he'll feed, though Mothman might know more on the specifics of these things. I'd think if you leave him be he'll be okay.

DBB wrote: »
    They're not particularly flappy, as insects go!
    I don't think he'll feed, though Mothman might know more on the specifics of these things. I'd think if you leave him be he'll be okay.

promise you mothman is safe!...:).....

as for my new pal....will report..thanks to all....

• Advertisement

The picture above is a Damselfly (not Azure, but Common Blue), different to Dragonfly though Dragonfly is also used as a term to collectively cover both....:)
    There are a number of blue species....

The adults do not overwinter and do not usually survive long without food which is other insects.
    They don't usually fly at night, but this may be more to do with temperature. they are solar creatures, using wings to warm themselves, but in a heat environment this is not needed.

The flooding next door, was this from floods from the rainfall?
    My theory at moment is that the mature larva got washed in and it has emerged early indoors, instead of waiting for next year. Usually the larva are in cold water at this time of year.

Damselflies are near enough quiet when flying, unless the wings hit something. I doubt it is attracted by dark, but perhaps by light.

I suspect that you may find it dead under a window sometime. While they may survive a while in semi hibernation in a cool environment, the heat has probably made it active and in this situation it needs to feed.

thanks for that mothman, how would i feed him?, on first impulse i was a bit paranoid but now i feel bad for probably scaring him!....he is quite safe from the cat - not a chance - a fly makes her run!..

They'd feed on any flying insect they can catch.

OT, but my cat has deformed front limbs and the only thing she catches are Damselflies...and she brings them into the house....never in January though :D

They'd feed on any flying insect they can catch.

OT, but my cat has deformed front limbs and the only thing she catches are Damselflies...and she brings them into the house....never in January though :D

laughing here - my "daughters cat" (and i use that term loosely) has almost to be carried to the litter tray - she spotted the lodger and it was her expression that i saw said "guest" on the glass brick...then the cat ran....with me....sorry to hear about your cat though!....does she want a nixer?..:)

does she want a nixer?..:)
    :D

Advertisement