Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Interesting device on front of a Citreon

Options
  • 04-01-2012 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

Saw this near Wexford a while back and took a photo out of curiosity. Anyone know what it is? It looks like 2 fairly strong pivot points near where a towing eye would usually be, and protruding at the lower centre is a coupling at the end of a winch cable. All very tidily done. There are no other unusual bits at the front of the car that I noticed, never thought of checking the rear.

My first guess was that it might be some sort of snow plough attachment, but the car is from the Isle of Man so it's unlikely to ever see much snow. Anyway the low positioning of the winch means that it can't really be used to lift anything attached to them.

So I'm out of ideas. Anyone know what it could be? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Some sort of way to attach it to a big motor home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Its for towing the car with a campervan/motorhome..

motorhome-a-frame.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I hate how efficient Motors is. I was looking forward to reading all the wacky possible uses for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Quazzie wrote: »
    I hate how efficient Motors is. I was looking forward to reading all the wacky possible uses for this.

i was looking at the holes in the back of the rings and thinking it might be some sort of air coupler for pneumatics, was going to come up with lots of wacky theories

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Often wondered how they worked...can anyone explain? Is the steering left unlocked and the car just follows as the leading vehicle goes? Are the mounting hook yolkies fixed to the chassis legs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Its for towing the car with a campervan/motorhome..

motorhome-a-frame.jpg

Aha, I never would have thought of that, well done!

So for the cable in the middle (not shown in your pic, see the pic in my original post) I'm guessing it's the secondary/safety attachment in case the towbar comes off during transport.

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Its for towing the car with a campervan/motorhome...
    No it's for mounting a wide-screen back-projection TV. When fuel becomes too expensive for all but Russian oligarchs to buy we can sit in our cars in our driveways and simulate a family day out in the car while it (and we) remain stationary.

Often wondered how they worked...can anyone explain? Is the steering left unlocked and the car just follows as the leading vehicle goes? Are the mounting hook yolkies fixed to the chassis legs?

More info here

http://www.caratow.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Quazzie wrote: »

I can delete all the sensible posts if you want :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Stg£ 1200 for the kit fitted!!

Its for the serious campers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

It seems silly to me.. why not just tow a caravan?

With this a-frame you have a great lumbering slow van to drive and a tiny car to tour in... with a touring caravan you get to sit in a nice driving seat all the time.

Your caravan might be nicked when you come back?

Advertisement