Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to drive from Dublin to Stockholm

Options
  • 04-01-2012 8:07pm
    Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all,

I need to get my car to Stockholm, there appear to be no ferries that go direct. Has anyone any suggestions on the easiest way to get there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

you'll need a bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It is easy.

Landbridge (Dub/Rosslare - Wales) to the France (Dover - Calais)

Drive to Gdansk (Poland)

Ferry to Stockholm, takes around 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Strap a dingy to the bottom of the car and tie the car to a boat heading for Stockholm

*dusts off hands*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ferry to France/England, drive to Denmark and take the Øresund Bridge to Sweden?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I have no idea but this is Google's suggestion

Dublin to Stockholm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Drive to the Giants Causeway, jet ski to Stockholm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Dublin - London - Harwich, ferry to Esbjerg, drive to Copenhagen, drive via bridge to Malmo and from there to Stockholm. Alternatively, ship your stuff, fly and rent a van when you get there.
    Drive to the Giants Causeway, jet ski to Stockholm.

And sink without trace shortly after it runs out of fuel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Dismantle it, eat it and fly Ryanair. You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Dublin to Holyhead on the ferry. Drive to Harwich in England. Ferry to Esbjerg in Denmark. Drive from there to Stockholm.

Stena Line have a Landbridge option where you get a discount if you book the two together with them.

Edit: Damn you confab and your quick typing skills!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Conor108 wrote: »
    I have no idea but this is Google's suggestion

Dublin to Stockholm

That actually looks like a decent roadtrip, can you keep going onto Helsinki via ferry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

mackg wrote: »
    That actually looks like a decent roadtrip, can you keep going onto Helsinki via ferry?

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Your name isn't Jeremy Clarkson and your not racing the other two by train by any chance?

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

mackg wrote: »

Googles suggestion includes taking trains. I cant take the car on the train I presume?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

You should put this question on the SABRE forum - someone there is bound to know the best route:

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/

I would guess that the best route would be Dublin - Holyhead - London - Channel Tunnel - Belgium - Germany - Denmark - Oresund Bridge - Stockholm.
    Ferries may be more direct but will be slower. It depends on how much driving you want to do and how quickly you want to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

That would be a class trip.

I drove from Cork to Rotterdam on a motorbike last year taking a similar route to start with - Cork - Rosslare - Fishguard - Folkstone - Euro tunnel to Calais - Belgium - Holland.

My only regret was driving across the UK because it was so mind-numbingly boring that by the time I got to France, I was sick of driving. If I did it again, I would get the ferry straight to France.

Then again, mine was a pleasure trip so I probably had different priorities.

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

I'm not in a major panic to get there but I don't want to do unnecessary driving just to see the sights. I'd still like the quickest way. I will allow 2-3 days (have a child coming with me also)

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

viamichelin.com; that's what it's for.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Googles suggestion includes taking trains. I cant take the car on the train I presume?

The specific train they mention, yes. Eurotunnel Shuttle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

It's a pretty epic trip, are you looking for the quickest or cheapest or shortest driving route?? Dublin - Holyhead then Newcastle - Bergen then driving across Norway and Sweden would be pretty damn cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Eleganza wrote: »
    viamichelin.com; that's what it's for.

Very handy site that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Absurdum wrote: »
    It's a pretty epic trip, are you looking for the quickest or cheapest or shortest driving route?? Dublin - Holyhead then Newcastle - Bergen then driving across Norway and Sweden would be pretty damn cool.

A lad in Galway ride to Norway this year on his Vespa......to Norway.....and back....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

I drive to Oslo every summer, ferry rosslare-cherbourg get plenty of sleep on the ferry to France and you should make it to Stockholm in one go. Take the bridge from Denmark over to Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Some driving tips for getaway breaks in Stockholm here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X12W2Aja844&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bollhav

Hi all,

I need to get my car to Stockholm, there appear to be no ferries that go direct. Has anyone any suggestions on the easiest way to get there?

Before you take off you should know its required by swedish law to have studded winter tires between dec 1-march 31. Im not sure if its the same for foreign cars but regardless you wont get far without them if its snowing..

Another route not mentioned is the ferry from newcastle-gothenburg, its around 5 hours drive to stockholm from gothenburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

There is no Gothenburg ferry at the minute. It is Newcastle-Amsterdam. Currently and it is mega bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

my missus drove from Stockholm to Dublin last year ... not by choice but due to the feckin ash cloud.

Originally she didn't intend driving the whole way but the route she took was:

Stockholm - Copenhagen
    Copenhagen - Hamburg
    Hamburg - Brussells
    Brussells - Roscoff
    Roslare - Dublin

The route was taken as she was tring to get trains / flights / buses / Eurostar etc from different cities but they were all booked up and she just kept renting cars and driving on !!!

she said it was a fantastic drive except she was on her own !!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Ferry to France/England, drive to Denmark and take the Øresund Bridge to Sweden?

Yeah, I did this a few years ago (went to Oland not Stockholm so my journey was a wee bit shorter) and it is a great trip so long as you have someone with you to break the monotony of the Autobahns.

You could also cross England and get the ferry across from Harwich to Holland but if I was going again I'd go the Eurotunnel again and drive on from there.

Advertisement