Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about gardai asking about moderator.

Options
  • 04-01-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I sent in my aplication form for a .22 rifle with a modifier. i got a phone call from the gardai asking me to come in and explain why i need a moderator, anyone know why or what i should say :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

mike91 wrote: »
    I sent in my aplication form for a .22 rifle with a modifier. i got a phone call from the gardai asking me to come in and explain why i need a modifier, anyone know why or what i should say :confused:

Moderator? Tell him you need it in order to not spook livestock where you're shooting or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mike91

Blay wrote: »
    Moderator? Tell him you need it in order to not spook livestock where you're shooting or such.

yes moderator sorry :rolleyes: and thanks sound advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

mike91 wrote: »
    I sent in my aplication form for a .22 rifle with a modifier. i got a phone call from the gardai asking me to come in and explain why i need a moderator, anyone know why or what i should say :confused:

also for hearing protection as you can not wear ear plugs in case the farmer or anyone is trying to call you to get your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

On a 22lr it really makes you a more efficient pest controller, as it doesn't spook other rabbits as you pick them off.

Other reasons are:

Using a 22lr for rabbits will require multiple shots in the one trip and you don't want to damage your hearing. Ear plugs are not a great alternative as you will be carrying a firearm and should be completely aware of your surroundings.

If you shoot with a partner who already has one, you not having one reduces how effectively you can control vermin.

As stated, can spook certain livestock. This isn't a great argument on a 22lr though.

Makes you more accurate. On larger calibers it reduces felt recoil.

Also, don't go in all guns blazing. They probably just want to make sure you know why you're getting one and it's not just because everyone else has them. The calm and prepared approach is always best. Sometimes they genuinely just want to know why you need it :)

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

I have just got them myself recently and big thing is :

1.hear protection and health and safety for yourself or anyone close by plus double hearing protection is no practicial in field in case some want to give ya a warning to any possible dangers i.e someone walking.
    2. noise pollution to the public and you want to reduce and minimise this as much as possible.
    3. The sounds of a non sound suppressed firearm being fired may startle and frighten the livestock, which could result in loss and death to unborn animals.

Thats just a quick explaination of some of my reasons plus what the other guys have give ya should help in writing a letter for the gardai if required. Best of luck anyway hope you get them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement