Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Nuetering and Mircochipping

Options
  • 04-01-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

How much does it roughly cost to get a dog neutered and mircochipped?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Neutering all depends on the size of the dog so it can very from 100-200 or little more or less. Is it a male dog?
    Not sure exactly how much microchipping costs, but i would say not more than 50euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

We have a female miniature Schnauzer and it cost €140 at a vet in Galway for the opp.
    She was already microchipped when we got her so i don't know how much that would have cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Just after picking up my choc lab 19.5kg from the vets cost me €158.60 to get her done. Poor baby is in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Females cost more than males and the bigger the dog the more it costs. Best thing is to have a rough idea of your dog's weight and ring around a few places tomorrow and ask for estimates. And ask does the price include everything, some places charge extra for the buster collar and stitches out.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

it cost me €180 to get a small female collie done about 2 years ago. Microchipping costs about €30.

I know some charity did it at Pet Expo about 2 years ago and sometimes animal charities offer it while doing demos etc at pet stores and such like.

No matter where you get it done its well worth it. Just remember to get the chip registered otherwise its money down the drain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

If you are in receipt of a welfare payment you can get both done cheaper.

Check out the bluecross.ie website http://www.bluecross.ie/welfare_schemes.html

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

OUCH! Lot more than I was expecting!

Have 1 dog who is huge! Weighs in at 43kgs, he's a male but he's not really rampant or goes round humping things but was curious to find out how much. Looking like it'll be the best part of €150 then?

Reason why I'm curious, is because a stray dog came back to my house who is very rampant and humps everything so wanted to get it done but as he's a stray, I don't want to get it done in case I find the owners you know? The stray dog weighs in at 16kgs (male) so probably would be cheaper than the other.

Definitely need to get the big dog mircochipped anyways.

What do you mean by registering it? Does that not happen when you get it done?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You need to take the stay to a vet to get scanned for a microchip and try to locate it's owner. What were you planning on doing with it, did you want to keep it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

What do you mean by registering it? Does that not happen when you get it done?

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't then nothing (no name, phone number etc.) will come up if someone found your dog and scanned it. For instance my dog had an unregistered microchip when I got him. If the vet doesn't do it it's just a matter of sending a form away or filling it in online, just confirm with your vet when it's being done whether they are registering him or if you've to send away the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

You need to take the stay to a vet to get scanned for a microchip and try to locate it's owner. What were you planning on doing with it, did you want to keep it?

Yeah have done that already, no chip at all. I will keep the dog if I can't find it's owner but giving it a month or so before I get him neutered and vaccinated and stuff cos obviously I don't want to be paying out for it to be done and then I find the owner. Have already paid over €60 in getting him medication for his conjunctivitis and worming tablets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement