Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2010/2011 Passat: which engine?

Options
  • 04-01-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a 1 or 2 year-old Passat as a family car. Driving will be mostly city based with regular cross-country trips. I'd estimate 10-15k miles per year.

Which engine would suit me best? I'm more interested in reliability and keeping running/maintenance costs low than out-and-out performance. However I don't want to end up with a sluggish lump of a car either!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

-K2- wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a 1 or 2 year-old Passat as a family car. Driving will be mostly city based with regular cross-country trips. I'd estimate 10-15k miles per year.

Which engine would suit me best? I'm more interested in reliability and keeping running/maintenance costs low than out-and-out performance. However I don't want to end up with a sluggish lump of a car either!

2L with at least 140 Bhp anyway.. whether you go for the TDI or petrol variant depends on the mileage but the 1.9 (is that even available in the newer cars?) would be very underpowered for a car that size.. I know, I have one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

1.6TDI replaced the ancient 1.9TDI I think around sometime last year although not sure if it's in the older model(2010) Passat.This would be the engine I would go for if looking to keep costs down anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

166man wrote: »
    1.6TDI replaced the ancient 1.9TDI I think around sometime last year although not sure if it's in the older model(2010) Passat.This would be the engine I would go for if looking to keep costs down anyway.

I wouldn't agree. There's quite a few threads in VAG forums about dpf problems when used for the majority of the time around town. If anything the 1.4tsi would be the better buy. Cheaper to purchase, there doesn't seem to be horror stories and is more powerful than the 1.6 or 1.9 diesels. It won't be as economical or be in as low a tax band but the saving on the purchase price will go a long way.

It's also lively enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

166man wrote: »

The 1.9 & 1.6 tdi that replaced it are slow enough though so OP might want to look at some other option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

1.4 TSI. Forget about Daysul..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Ah feck missed the OP's annual mileage, so disregard my first post. At 10-15k miles a year then petrol would probably be the way to go and as EPM said the 1.4TSI would be your best bet. Reasonably fast and when driven carefully should return reasonable fuel economy.

Definitely wouldn't go for a VAG diesel at that mileage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.4 TSi seems to fit the bill. Despite the small capacity it has a turbo and produces 122bhp which is more than enough to move the Passat. I think the late 2010 model also gets into Tax Band B which means €225 to tax.

You are asking for trouble buying a diesel version if only doing 10 to 15k miles per year. Small mileage + modern diesel are not good. Hard to justify the premium they command over petrol models too at that annual mileage.

Advertisement