Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert Irish Help.

• 04-01-2012 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi. Thanks for coming to this thread. Im currently in third year and over xmas have been thinking about my LC subjects. If Irish, English and Maths are compulsory I think my subjects would be Maths, English, Irish, French, Latin, Economics, Biology, Chemistry and Music.

This is obviously quite a lot. Im doing Latin cause my teacher is unreal, possibly the best in Ireland and very capable of ensuring I get an A1, Economics cause i didnt do business for JC and want to try 1 business subject, Chemistry and Biology because I may have an interest in medicine and have heard that you need these 2 for acceptance into college, is that true? And Music as Im grade 6 Piano and playing guitar for 5 yrs.
    I would also like to do Honors Maths as maths is my best subject.
    I really need some advise as to me it looks like way too many subjects (9)

I was wondering if they're is anyway I could get away with not doing Irish? Im not really sure how I could get an exemption as Im not foreign or dyslexic.

Also does pass Irish and pass English look bad for any future employers? as this is the best solution I could come up with.

Please give me any advise you may have.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

TheBigMan9 wrote: »
    Hi. Thanks for coming to this thread. Im currently in third year and over xmas have been thinking about my LC subjects. If Irish, English and Maths are compulsory I think my subjects would be Maths, English, Irish, French, Latin, Economics, Biology, Chemistry and Music.

This is obviously quite a lot. Im doing Latin cause my teacher is unreal, possibly the best in Ireland and very capable of ensuring I get an A1, Economics cause i didnt do business for JC and want to try 1 business subject, Chemistry and Biology because I may have an interest in medicine and have heard that you need these 2 for acceptance into college, is that true? And Music as Im grade 6 Piano and playing guitar for 5 yrs.
    I would also like to do Honours Maths as maths is my best subject.
    I really need some advise as to me it looks like way too many subjects (9)

I was wondering if they're is anyway I could get away with not doing Irish? Im not really sure how I could get an exemption as Im not foreign or dyslexic.

Also does pass Irish and pass English look bad for any future employers? as this is the best solution I could come up with.

Please give me any advise you may have.
    Thanks

I am a sixth year student and I'm doing 7 subjects and I'm feeling the pressure of it.
    You should really think about what you want to do in college.
    Obviously you will need Maths, English and Irish and a language, then if you are interested in the Medicine then do Biology and Chemistry. Two languages can be very difficult to keep on for LC.
    Think of it, the week of the Orals, you will have an oral in Irish, Latin and French and the music practicals are also on that week.

An alternative would be to take about 2/3 Ordinary level subjects if you want to keep on the nine subjects. That way your best six will still be counted at higher level

As for the pass English and Irish on the CV.... I wouldn't know much about that.

I hope that is of some help.... PM me if you have any Qs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

It depends on your school because I know in my school we had to do English, Irish (unless you have a learning difficulty) and Maths. We were then given the choice to pick 4 other subjects, one of which had to be a foreign language. I've honestly never heard of someone doing 9 subjects for their leaving cert. May I ask why you want to do that many? You do know you are only examined on your best 6 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

If you can count Latin as your language the I'd drop French, but Latin probably isn't allowed for then language requirement. (I've no idea about that really.)

I'd also drop Economics unless you really have a massive interest in it and would love to study it. There don't seem to be any other subjects there that you can drop, and doing more than seven higher level ones will only add unnecessary pressure. Keep in on though if you have any interest in maybe doing Economics in college.

I'm almost certain theres no way you'd get away with dropping Irish or English though. If you're okay at Irish though it's easy enough to do well in, 40% for the oral which a lot of people find is the easiest to get marks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

Hi! I'm going to be completely honest here. I did OL English, Irish and Maths. THe only thing is does it give me less point for getting to college. Once you get your degree, your employer will not give a damn what your leaving cert points are.

Chemistry AFAIK is NEEDED for medicine. Biology just helps.

Economics is a small course and very predictable, so it's not too bad :)

I can't comment on Music or Latin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

to be honest if you are planning on going to college once you're qualified nobody will give a crap about your leaving cert results, even if you got 10 A1s, so don't worry about it looking bad to employers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

You'll need to pick the course that you are interested in and then choose your relevant subjects as the entry requirements differ for each. For instance, I'm in 6th year and looking to do Computer Science in UCD, I need Irish, English, Mathematics(Minimum Grade OB3/HD3), Three other recognised subjects. As you can see there is no need for a third language to do this course or indeed many science related courses. It all depends on your course, no one here can tell you what to pick but yourself.

Advertisement