Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA and dropping out

Options
  • 04-01-2012 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I dropped out of my course and have a letter of confirmation for the end of October 2011.
    I freaked out and have not handed it in as I would have no money for three months,the amount of time it takes to be out of full time education to claim dole again. So, I have been claiming the BTEA since the start of November 2011, even though I have dropped out. The full amount has been paid into my account every week.

I'm handing in the letter this week now though to confirm to the social that I have left. I know I'll have to pay them back but as I was on Jobseekers,100euro a week rate before I was granted the BTEA, will the sum of the extra 80 odd euro that had been given each week be totaled against me to pay back?

I don't know how this blunder will affect my future as regards to going back to college and trying to get a grant/benefits again.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Inewziggy

Hey, I'm currently getting btea in a course and was on 100 a week beforehand, wondering how this worked out for you as considering dropping out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

They usually send out a letter to be signed by the college in the second semester to price your still on the course. They'll know from you not sending it back that your not on the course anymore and probably cut you off completely which you don't want as god knows how long it would take to get back in previous payment. Your best bet is to call in and explain to them. You will have to pay them back from your payments but I'm not sure what way they work that nowadays, however the longer you leave it the longer you'll pay back. I know it's tempting to keep as you are especially if your on a reduced rate outside of BTEA ( I only get €50 a week from them during the summer when not on BTEA )

Advertisement