Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.4l saloon car best buy?

Options
  • 04-01-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I am currently looking to change from a hatchback to a saloon car, 1.4l with maximum space available (for buggy etc)
    It will be a city car hence staying in the low petrol range for economy,I don't think a diesel car would be worth the expense if i'm not putting up the mileage.

on a budget of €6k I'm picking between

Mazda 3
    Nissan Almera
    Ford focus

All saloon versions,

Any pros or cons experience with these models? Reliability will be the deciding factor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

lasalle wrote: »
    I am currently looking to change from a hatchback to a saloon car, 1.4l with maximum space available (for buggy etc)
    It will be a city car hence staying in the low petrol range for economy,I don't think a diesel car would be worth the expense if i'm not putting up the mileage.

on a budget of €6k I'm picking between

Mazda 3
    Nissan Almera
    Ford focus

All saloon versions,

Any pros or cons experience with these models? Reliability will be the deciding factor.

TBH, in petrol form, all 3 of those choices are very reliable, with the mazda probably being top of the list. The almera's would feel very dated compared to a MK2 focus or a mazda 3 though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Carolla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Carolla.

Or a Corolla...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Almera is 1.5.

For value and decent reliability I'd be inclined to go for an Almera, they are a far bit cheaper than a Corolla of the same year but the Corolla might just edge it on reliability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Or a Corolla...:P

yep, one of them aswell......LOL:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Of that trio the Nissan would be the least reliable, there are problems with the timing chain and/or the sensors with the 1.5 engine, it's also a far worse car in every other conceivable measure bar performance, a 1.4 Focus or Mazda 3 is dangerously underpowered.

Corollas are without a doubt a reliable car, but I wouldn't say they are any better than a Focus or a Mazda, they can suffer from gearbox problems and the VVTi engines can be prone to burning oil, especially the older ones. Most of those that suffered from it did get some of the engine repaired early on in their lives, so it shouldn't be a problem, but it is something to be aware of all the same.

I'd say if reliability is the deciding factor then go for the Mazda, it's also a fine car although I would be trying to find a 1.6 petrol. I prefer the Focus myself, but the Mazda is very good as well, it is after all based on the Focus:).

The saloon is not available with a 1.4 petrol anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

get a 1.4 d4d (diesel) corolla saloon, can be picked up for your budget. diesel economy, with low tax and has the space you need. wouldn't touch an almera or a mazda 3, or any ford for that matter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

wesf wrote: »
    get a 1.4 d4d (diesel) corolla saloon, ...
    Completely unsuited to low-mileage city driving as has been shown and advised many times on the site. OP a diesel IMHO is the wrong tool for the job you want to do.

What about the Daihatsu Sirion (or even the jazzed up Subaru version)? Nice high seating and load area saves the auld back a bit, low tax, low insurance, good space, extremely reliable, the rear seats adjust in one move to increase boot-space. I ran for for 3 years as an additional "city" car and it never missed a beat although it worked hard for its keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

same tax, same space, but way more mileage for your money, yeh i can see how thats unsuitable...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

same tax, same space, but way more mileage for your money, yeh i can see how thats unsuitable...
    Modern diesels don't like short runs. Hence a petrol is much better for the job, and more reliable.
    The Mazda 3 saloon only came in 1.6, the 1.4 was Hatch only, but I'd be going for the Mazda. The best car out of the list by a good margin, and the most reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 lasalle

thanks for the replies,

I would agree that if the corolla was on the list it would be top but since they are more expensive (probably get what you pay for though) I'd have go back a year or two in age in comparison with the others.

just realising the mazda 3 saloon is a 1.6L, not sure how that would fare out fuel wise with the short journeys. Moving up to 1.6L would open lots if other models into the fray, but tax will also increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

There's reasoning for their recommendations, and sarcasm doesn't do anything for your argument...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

civic saloon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

-Chris- wrote: »
    There's reasoning for their recommendations, and sarcasm doesn't do anything for your argument...

Corolla doesnt have a dpf to be fair, I wouldn't rule one but for the fact that they're generally a lot more expensive than the petrols

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

IMO there would be negligible difference in MPG between a 1.4 & 1.6. Everyone in Ireland loves smaller engines and there is a myth they are more economical but in a heavish car like those mentioned you have to thrash a 1.4 to get it to move. The throttle is open, petrol burning and nothing is happening. A 1.6, even though a bigger engine, doesn't need to be driven as hard. Even if you're a careful driver.

If you're not putting up big mileage I wouldn't be too hung up on uel costs anyway.

A 1.6 Mazda 3 saloon would be a great all-round car for the use you describe:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201143205180492

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lasalle

thanks for the replies,

There are hyundai i30s 2008s for a few dollars more, they do seem like like great value as the equivalent age of similar type cars in other makes are considerably more expensive, although perhaps they arent as tried and tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

lasalle wrote: »
    thanks for the replies,

There are hyundai i30s 2008s for a few dollars more, they do seem like like great value as the equivalent age of similar type cars in other makes are considerably more expensive, although perhaps they arent as tried and tested.

I think that's a great choice but I thought you wanted a saloon? Is it the estate?

The Kia C'eed is the same car with a good choice of estates available. Friend of mine has one coming up on 4 yrs/100k miles and zero problems. In terms of reliability they're just as tried and tested as anything Japanese or European - only the Koreans have the confidence to offer a 7-year warranty. They're cheaper because not quite there yet in terms of brand recognition (changing fast) but anyhing Hyundai or Kia launched from the late noughties is class competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Matthewjohn

I think that you should also have a look at a Skoda Octavia its spacious reliable comfortable and well speced from the price
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Octavia/1.4-5DR/713237668507350/advert?channel=CARS
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2781051

Advertisement