Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with new web comic site

Options
  • 04-01-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey,

I have a new web comic site, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to promote it? I have a facebook page, but it's not really much of a help. If someone could maybe give me the names of some websites that deal with this sort of thing, that would be great.

Thanks a million
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

One of the first things you should do is put a link to it in your post above. Google will pick up on the link plus you will get some traffic from us boards members.
    Perhaps post the details and a link in other website review forums and search online for comic or comedy forums that you feel might help drive some traffic your way.
    Set up a twitter account and follow some comedians or websites. Also submit your site to free online directories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jhon.89

Publish your posts on twitter and facebook, if it's a good post, people will share it and retweet , that's way to get a much more traffic.
    Use traffic exchange sites like 2leep.com to bring more traffic.

Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cream_Johnson

Hey guys, thanks a million. I didn't think I was allowed to post a link to the site....but here it is: www.sluglove.com

I set up a twitter account (sluglover69) and I'm posting links to comics

Currently searching for any comic forums I could join

Really appreciate your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

jhon.89 wrote: »
    Publish your posts on twitter and facebook, if it's a good post, people will share it and retweet , that's way to get a much more traffic.
    Use traffic exchange sites like 2leep.com to bring more traffic.

Hope it helps.

No, Google obeys twitter nofollow directive since "the spat"

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

link8r wrote: »
    No, Google obeys twitter nofollow directive since "the spat"
    There can still be value there, the value of social media has never really been about the links (although when the firehose was in place tweets did have a huge benefit in crawl times). Assuming it's being tweeted/shared to a relevant target market and one that engages with the account in question (either directly clicking or sharing to their connections) it can still drive good traffic and can have positive secondary benefits down the line.

As for the comment on traffic exchanges, that's one I believe worth disagreeing with. Unless it's a site that is incredibly sticky and can convert that type of incredibly low quality (in terms of relevancy or targeting) traffic it's a waste of time and depending on the specific exchange potentially of more harm than good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

TsuDhoNimh wrote: »
    As for the comment on traffic exchanges, that's one I believe worth disagreeing with. Unless it's a site that is incredibly sticky and can convert that type of incredibly low quality (in terms of relevancy or targeting) traffic it's a waste of time and depending on the specific exchange potentially of more harm than good.

I have to dissagree.. any advertising is good advertising.. Personally i find some of the gags hilarious on the site... the eddie murphy one particularly. So again my opinion is that your talking muck when you say you can do more harm than good in specific traffic exchanges. I think your reading to many matt cuts seo blog tips my friend.
    The potential for a site like this to go viral is Huge .. HUGE .. the gags are short, witty, funny and QUICK.. Facebook would be all over this if you intregate the like, digg, plus buttons etc in a similar fashion to the lullz.com likes.

I think again any link what so every for a site of this nature is good because of the type of site that it is. Great work by the way keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

So again my opinion is that your talking muck when you say you can do more harm than good in specific traffic exchanges.
    We'll have to agree on a difference of opinion then. When you've worked with over ten clients in the last year that came to you as a direct result of having sites outranked by MFA duplicates of their own site, where the common denominator was a very specific traffic exchange (and where you later set up dummy sites to test the theory and it's proven correct), there's a fair chance you'll change your opinion.
    I think your reading to many matt cuts seo blog tips my friend.
    I'd suggest not making inaccurate assumptions. I take the information that Matt is guided to share with the same pinch of salt that I take information from any other source that lacks data to back up findings. In SEO there's only one way to confirm or deny a hypothesis, that's with rigorous and robust testing.
    Facebook would be all over this if you intregate the like, digg, plus buttons etc in a similar fashion to the lullz.com likes.
    I certainly agree that social sharing options are vital to a site such as this, but integration of the buttons alone isn't enough. With any promotional technique, it's far more about how you use them than simply using them.
    I think again any link what so every for a site of this nature is good because of the type of site that it is.
    That one simply isn't true. Differences of opinion aside, this has been proven (personally and by various other sources) not to be the case. If a relatively new site such as this goes out to pick up 'any link what so ever' they run serious risks of running into trouble. Sure they can start to throw rubbish links at the site once they've gained some authority, but if they do that as their starting point it's just begging to cause issues as it has for thousands of sites before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

TsuDhoNimh wrote: »
    We'll have to agree on a difference of opinion then. When you've worked with over ten clients in the last year that came to you as a direct result of having sites outranked by MFA duplicates of their own site, where the common denominator was a very specific traffic exchange (and where you later set up dummy sites to test the theory and it's proven correct), there's a fair chance you'll change your opinion.

I'd suggest not making inaccurate assumptions. I take the information that Matt is guided to share with the same pinch of salt that I take information from any other source that lacks data to back up findings. In SEO there's only one way to confirm or deny a hypothesis, that's with rigorous and robust testing.

I certainly agree that social sharing options are vital to a site such as this, but integration of the buttons alone isn't enough. With any promotional technique, it's far more about how you use them than simply using them.

That one simply isn't true. Differences of opinion aside, this has been proven (personally and by various other sources) not to be the case. If a relatively new site such as this goes out to pick up 'any link what so ever' they run serious risks of running into trouble. Sure they can start to throw rubbish links at the site once they've gained some authority, but if they do that as their starting point it's just begging to cause issues as it has for thousands of sites before them.

Yup... the made for adsense sites i can agree because im one of those dicks that makes those particular sites and will continue to do so.
    My opinion of this traffic/Link exchanges is.. IS... if you cant beat em.. join em.. nuff said on that one.

Everything i note/read or entertain also is taken with a pinch of salt, except for that man.. i dare not even go there. The spiel that comes from his mouth is misleading and proven to be untrue on many occasions.. I keep guessing as to why or who is giving him authority to say something that is proven not to be true. I think its the lemming monkeys that follow his every move and nod like the dogs in the back window of those opel corsas i see zipping around. Yup i agree with your comment with the seo.

Yes .. i agree with the buttons, im assuming he,s not going to cut/paste and run a mile he will have to devise a strat and follow accordingly.

Well if you were persay to create some buffer sites, to Eat the spam as you put it, would perhaps leave the main site untouched.. ?? Im fully aware of your knowledge in the area and im sure you no how to this yourself. With a constant stream even the best gooble bots cant do **** to your buffer sites.

Again, if you cant beat em join em !!

Advertisement