Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance question

Options
  • 04-01-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey,

I was in a crash last year 100% my fault. passenger has been paid out and the driver settlement not been paid as far as i know. I didnt drive after as thought it would be way to much. im 25, my partner is looking to get my on her policy,im just wondering is this a paid idea for her?what is the usual increase?
    and will i have to wait for claim settled or have to get letters from my old insurance company?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

AFAIK if you have a claim against you then the only company who'll insure you is the company that the claim went through. Dont quote me on that now but I defo heard it from someone who was in a crash. And I'd imagine your premium will be very pricey!! But prob cheaper than getting your won policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

feeder12 wrote: »
    Hey,

I was in a crash last year 100% my fault. passenger has been paid out and the driver settlement not been paid as far as i know. I didnt drive after as thought it would be way to much. im 25, my partner is looking to get my on her policy,im just wondering is this a paid idea for her?what is the usual increase?
    and will i have to wait for claim settled or have to get letters from my old insurance company?

cheers

You'll want to wait until the claim is fully settled before you move on.

BTW your claims history will follow you, so don't expect to get away with a nice new premium just because you switched insurer.

It does depend on the insurer though, so no harm getting a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 feeder12

yeah dont expect to get away with a nice premium and it has been nice the years i was driving also. is it true i will have to stick with the same insurers till its settled?if someone can confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

feeder12 wrote: »
    yeah dont expect to get away with a nice premium and it has been nice the years i was driving also. is it true i will have to stick with the same insurers till its settled?if someone can confirm?

I'm not actually sure (strangely, as I worked in motor claims for 6 years lol).

I'll find out and let you know. Or indeed you could call your insurer and ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Pinkiss

if you will try to go to another company and explain what happened,they gonna ask for amount,that was claimed and settled,also may do a check or require a letter from the insurance company as a proof,so until all claims are settled no other company will take you.Otherwise if you have a family member or gf with the same insurer as you were there shouldn't be any problems to put you as a named driver,youd be looking between 300-1000e extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 feeder12

cool thanks for that! im gonna give them a call after work as gunner said just hoped for some info beforehand also have to find out who the gf is with as it will be her policy. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Just my two cents, I was involved in a crash 4 years ago, 100% not my fault and still no other insurer would touch me until the claim was settled. I was just shopping around for a better premium myself when my policy was due for renewal and noone would insure me.

Advertisement