Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Abandoned car? What to do about it?

Options
  • 04-01-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How do, there's been a car parked outside my house for well over a month now. The road is used for parking by the apartment complex across the road (much to my annoyance but I know there's nothing I can do, public road and all that) so when I noticed it was parked there first I didn't pay much attention but after a week got suspicious.

The NCT is out by a year, tax out a month and insurance is out a year and a half. It's been there a month now so I'm assuming it's abandoned (although the reg plates are still on which is weird). It's been reported to the police and they've just said each time 'we'll look into it' with a sense of dismissal about it.

Should I keep pressuring the police or should I look somewhere else? It's annoying being right outside as nobody can park outside which has been annoying over Christmas.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It's a public road - right?

Take the plates off, at night or whenever there's no one around. Ring the council and tell them it's abandoned.

Should be gone in a day or two. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I'd rather not tamper with it but by golly I've come close to giving it a kick a few times (it's quite close to my entrance). Just wondering if having all tax, insurance and NCT out, some way out, is enough to take it off the road? I mean it's on a public road without any of these, surely this should be enough for the guards to step in?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Take the plates off, at night or whenever there's no one around.

?? That doesnt sound right!! :cool:

OP If you're in Dublin, I think the Corpo have a scheme for picking up abandoned cars.

If you got caught taking the plates off a car that wasnt yours, you might end up in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

SilverBell wrote: »
    ?? That doesnt sound right!! :cool:

OP If you're in Dublin, I think the Corpo have a scheme for picking up abandoned cars.

If you got caught taking the plates off a car that wasnt yours, you might end up in trouble.

yeah ring the corpo for advise, don't tamper with the car,you will end up in trouble.

In fact if the car was stolen and abandoned with 1 million euro in the boot and you were seen tampering with it........could get interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

leave it alone, maybe the owner is going thru a bit of a bad patch, and isnt working and cant afford to have it taxed and insured at the moment but needs the car in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭kippy

PaudyW wrote: »
    leave it alone, maybe the owner is going thru a bit of a bad patch, and isnt working and cant afford to have it taxed and insured at the moment but needs the car in the future.

So why leave it sitting on a public road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

What kind of car is it?

Somebody owns it... the gardai can try and get in touch with the registered owner (if they are still in possession of the car) for you. Obviously you just want it moved, but the owner is entitled to park it on a public road. Sure he can get x,y and z tickets for not displaying the right discs but he can still park it there if he wants.

If I lived in an apartment block and bought a car that needed work or what not and had to leave it out on the road for a month or two then so be it, if someone came along and removed the license plates so that the council would take it away I would not be happy.

PaudyW wrote: »
    Well leave it outside his own house then!!!

I'll get in touch with the corporation about it so, and despite of what some people are thinking I'm not nor ever was going to tamper with it. I may sound like an old grump but honestly, it can be a nightmare on this road. Pretty narrow and full 24/7 with cars of people who don't live there. The amount of times I've been blocked into my driveway and this car is just completely taking the píss with a month stay over Christmas (the owner's taking the piss...not the car...I don't think:confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who doesnt insure a car but stil taxes it? Odd. (unless they just took the most recent disk out, which would suggest its deliberately dumped)

What is it OP?

Vikings wrote: »

Somebody owns it... the gardai can try and get in touch with the registered owner (if they are still in possession of the car) for you. Obviously you just want it moved, but the owner is entitled to park it on a public road. Sure he can get x,y and z tickets for not displaying the right discs but he can still park it there if he wants.

Hes not entitled to park it on the road without tax.

It's basically a skip now and will be lifted by the council (with a bit of kick up from locals first)

Who doesnt insure a car but stil taxes it? Odd. (unless they just took the most recent disk out, which would suggest its deliberately dumped)
    Just checked, discs are the same as the reg.
    What is it OP?
    Renault Megane, I now have a deep hatred for them ;)
    Hes not entitled to park it on the road without tax.

It's basically a skip now and will be lifted by the council (with a bit of kick up from locals first)
    That's what I thought, calling council now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Type the reg in here,

https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/start.do;jsessionid=0aa0114830d81e60a942dce64812a22eb72b39c12a8b.e38PaNaSbhuOay0Paxb0?page=welcome

And here,

motorcheck.ie.

If it matches up, and there has been no change of ownership ring the Gardai and ask them if they have a hit on it for being stolen..

After that, if the plates happened to fall off in this windy weather it would help matters :)

Checked on motortax.ie there. No change of ownership. Won't ring the guards as I was just talking to them about it last night. Rang the council and they said they'd gladly move it but only if the plates were off, almost like she was suggesting it! She obviously wasn't but I must say, I'm soooo tempted :p

Doubt it's abandoned now though, there's still some stuff in the back seat. Basically I think I'm just dealing with an out and out díckhead...the worst kind of heads. I would have thought the guards would follow up a car on the street that's out of tax, insurance and NCT but alas I'm sure there's a brekkie roll that needs scoffing somewhere :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Checked on motortax.ie there. No change of ownership. Won't ring the guards as I was just talking to them about it last night. Rang the council and they said they'd gladly move it but only if the plates were off, almost like she was suggesting it! She obviously wasn't but I must say, I'm soooo tempted :p

Doubt it's abandoned now though, there's still some stuff in the back seat. Basically I think I'm just dealing with an out and out díckhead...the worst kind of heads. I would have thought the guards would follow up a car on the street that's out of tax, insurance and NCT but alas I'm sure there's a brekkie roll that needs scoffing somewhere :pac:

As mentioned above its possible it's somebody who can't afford to run it that owns it. They may have nowhere else to leave it if they live in a complex. In saying that I feel your pain and I'd have probably burned it by now. My advice would be to ring the guards and tell them about the suspicious looking lads that have been checking it out in the evenings ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Somebody dumped a Pug 106 outside my house a couple of years ago, tax was out by 2 years, nct by 3 years and no insurance disc at all on the window.

One of the neighbours fessed up and said it was theirs and they were learning how to drive in it. I pointed out it had 4 flat tyres, a smashed back window and bird ****e on the seats along with mould.

After a month I just got pissed off looking at it, I took the plates off, ****ed them over the wall into a field and I called the cops and it was gone within a week.

If you want something done do it yourself. Neighbours never said a word to me about it surpringsly enough :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Its been said a number of times AND the corp said it it would be taken............

if the number plates went missing. :)

Take a look at how they are secured onto the car and plan how you will take them off. Then just nip out with the correct tools and you know the rest!

Take a look at how they are secured onto the car and plan how you will take them off. Then just nip out with the correct tools and you know the rest!

Philips head screwdriver or else a flat head to pop out the bottom of the plate surround, it's not rocket science :p

It's basically a skip now ...................

How on Earth did you know it was a Renault? :D

Renault Megane, ..................

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Philips head screwdriver or else a flat head to pop out the bottom of the plate surround, it's not rocket science :p

Plates with surrounds are still screwed on to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Somebody dumped a Pug 106 outside my house a couple of years ago, tax was out by 2 years, nct by 3 years and no insurance disc at all on the window.

One of the neighbours fessed up and said it was theirs and they were learning how to drive in it. I pointed out it had 4 flat tyres, a smashed back window and bird ****e on the seats along with mould.

After a month I just got pissed off looking at it, I took the plates off, ****ed them over the wall into a field and I called the cops and it was gone within a week.

If you want something done do it yourself. Neighbours never said a word to me about it surpringsly enough :rolleyes:

+1

If it's genuinely causing an obstruction and annoying you that much stop being a wus, take the plates off and ring the council. You weren't imaging things - the council lady WAS suggesting it...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I don't know are you in Dublin, but if you are, you can get it sorted here.

http://www.dublincity.ie/YOURCOUNCIL/Pages/isupport.aspx

I did it in Clare a couple of years back by contacting the waste management section of Clare Co Co.

Abandoned vehicles
    Abandoned vehicles in a public place are an offence under the Waste Management Act 1996-2008.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    Plates with surrounds are still screwed on to the car.

Not on my car, pop the bottom part of the surround out and the plate will drop out. I would be bothered about getting the surround out of site just the plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Rang the council and they said they'd gladly move it but only if the plates were off, almost like she was suggesting it! She obviously wasn't but I must say, I'm soooo tempted :p

You know and the council lady knows exactly what was meant

Windy weather, the plates might blow off tonight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

MarkR wrote: »
    I don't know are you in Dublin, but if you are, you can get it sorted here.

http://www.dublincity.ie/YOURCOUNCIL/Pages/isupport.aspx

I did it in Clare a couple of years back by contacting the waste management section of Clare Co Co.

Abandoned vehicles
    Abandoned vehicles in a public place are an offence under the Waste Management Act 1996-2008.

Yeah, but the thing is they won't take it as long as the plates are still on it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Yeah, but the thing is they won't take it as long as the plates are still on it.

Feck it. Take off the plates so. Throw them under the car or something. Maybe spraypaint over the plate if it's a plastic one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

One year a peugeot 309 (funny all the french cars being abandoned :rolleyes:) was dumped outside my house. Within days, the windows were smashed. Then the lights broke. Woke up one morning to find it had been burned. Then graffiti began to appear on the car. And then it disappeared, you could see where someone had dragged it down the road on its rims :rolleyes: Was quite a nuisance from day one! Have pictures of it too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

i remember a car getting burnt out at the entrance to my parents housing estate. Kildare Co Co still refused to remove the car until the plates mysteriously disappeared.....

Advertisement