Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo TDCi losing power

Options
  • 04-01-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

so I know that this is a common enough thread, but I'm selfish, this is about MY car, so I want my own thread!

I've a 2007 (Mk III) Mondeo TDCi and it's started intermittently losing power for a split second, mostly in the cold and within the first half hour of a journey, there's no smoke when this happens; it's religiously serviced (and was just serviced at the start of December), it has 180k kms on the clock, 95% of my driving is open road.......

any suggestions gratefully received (a buddy reckons it could be a sensor) - I'm NOT technically proficient, so this'll be a garage repair job

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Id hazard a guess and say the Injectors could be on the way out. Would be worth getting it plugged in to see if it has any faults stored for pressure loss in the common rail or the likes. I know injectors give lots of bother in mondeos and my own included.. (mine gave similar symptoms before finally giving up the ghost )But in saying that it could be one of a 1000 different things that could cause the car to loose power intermittantly, so a plug in will be yer only man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

ta - can I take it that any Ford dealer will do this, or can any dealer at all do it???

Id hazard a guess and say the Injectors could be on the way out. Would be worth getting it plugged in to see if it has any faults stored for pressure loss in the common rail or the likes. I know injectors give lots of bother in mondeos and my own included.. (mine gave similar symptoms before finally giving up the ghost )But in saying that it could be one of a 1000 different things that could cause the car to loose power intermittantly, so a plug in will be yer only man!!

have her booked in for 4pm - fingers crossed that whatever it is is CHEAP to fix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I had recent similar problem with a HDI, a mechanic friend of mine simply unplugged the air flow sensor and I regained full power again. Something to do with the sensor sending the wrong signal to the brain was causing me to loses power and very slow pick-up in 2nd and 3rd gear. In your case it may be a dirty air flow sensor. Shouldn't be a big job if that is your problem

hopefully, I hate going to main dealers - they see a woman and assume I've an IQ of 4........so this diagnostic thing can't be altered to show a problem that'll cost a grand to fix, can it!?:o

• Advertisement

I dont think they would do that! either way, you can always get a second opinion for cost of fixing the problem. Dont feel obligued to have to go with the main dealer's estimate. You could have a look around for a reputable all round car mechanic.

thanks, I have a family mechanic, but he's on hols this week, so at least if I give him the diagnosis, I'd trust him not to rip the @rse out of it! thanks to all for the help

update - had her hooked up for a diagnostic - no fault codes being returned..........

hi, could be dirty diesel, try putting in some injector cleaner. You can pick this up at most garages and auto shops for €6 or €7. Put in half a 300ml container with one third a tank of diesel. Then do the same again with the second half. Might not fix the problem but it can only help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭Damien360

I had a 05 Mk3 TDCI a few years ago.

Does your problem sound like the following : Driving along, constant speed and you feel the power blip down. You look down at rev counter to see what happened but too late, the event is over. All is back to normal.

I had this scenario until eventually the injectors blocked and the engine stopped running at 120kmph. It is a common issue on the Mk3 mondeo.

Diagnostics will not spot this. You will be left with a choice of re-conditioned injectors (cheaper) or new ones. I went through one set of re-conditioned and a few months later, a new set. After that, the car was sold.

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    I had a 05 Mk3 TDCI a few years ago.

Does your problem sound like the following : Driving along, constant speed and you feel the power blip down. You look down at rev counter to see what happened but too late, the event is over. All is back to normal.

I had this scenario until eventually the injectors blocked and the engine stopped running at 120kmph. It is a common issue on the Mk3 mondeo.

Diagnostics will not spot this. You will be left with a choice of re-conditioned injectors (cheaper) or new ones. I went through one set of re-conditioned and a few months later, a new set. After that, the car was sold.

that's exactly what's happening - how long before you went from spotting the problem to it getting to the point where the reconditioned injectors went in?

Advertisement