Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Variable Velocity Device

  • 04-01-2012 2:23am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 701 Eo1n8wrd


    Just saw this a thought i would throw it up here for a general opinion, I am reserving my opinion for the moment:




Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭ TerrenceAnth


    This would be really handy for airsofters who like to go to other country's and airsoft. I know i was looking into how to up my fps for berget 10 this might indeed be something for me to look into.


  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ fayer


    The IAA got official clarification on this question from the Government back in 2009. I dont have the wording to hand, but if you mail [email protected] someone should get back to you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 T4RGET


    If i re-call there was a discussion about this on the airsoft news thread, might hav ebeen something similar but i do think it was Ra tech. anyways a few of the.. more technologically minded people here where arguing against it's consistency and possible problems it may (or may not, mind you) have. might be worth searching for it using the search bar and see what it turns up


  • Registered Users Posts: 701 Eo1n8wrd


    I think you hit the nail on the head there,
    It's a great idea in principle but i think it needs to have a finer adjustment to be viable. The huge difference between the first two settings is proof of that to me. maybe if they develop a more sensetive model we might see it coming to Ireland.
    I do however love the way you can make your ajustments without have to strip any parts, just join the little bars together and put them down the barrel like mini sewer-rods.


  • Registered Users Posts: 701 Eo1n8wrd


    Bit sad that 177 people viewed this but only three offered an opinion! What happened to the old days when people on boards would argue the color of an Orange!!!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 Puding


    Eo1n8wrd wrote: »
    I think you hit the nail on the head there,
    It's a great idea in principle but i think it needs to have a finer adjustment to be viable. The huge difference between the first two settings is proof of that to me. maybe if they develop a more sensitive model we might see it coming to Ireland.
    I do however love the way you can make your ajustments without have to strip any parts, just join the little bars together and put them down the barrel like mini sewer-rods.

    the thing is it is not designed for fine adjustment to bring an aeg just under the limit, it is designed to allow people say in the US to have one aeg and be able to flip between a field and cqb friendly fps ( from 400fps to 300 )

    problem with the way it is adjusted is you;re know putting a metal object down your nice tightbore barrel


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,160 Inari


    Personally I don't like the idea of the VVD - your gearbox is still pulling a heavier spring, causing a greater degree of wear and tear on the gearbox.

    The concept is having a good air seal, and a poor air seal. Most players travelling to events will go to lets say (rounding up) 3 a year, and for arguments sake we'll space it out evenly; 1x Event every 4 months. If you're competent with opening a gearbox, it wouldn't be much to swap springs for the events, and is better for your gearbox in the long run.

    Puding is dead right though - using a long metal rod to adjust this through the barrel of your gun is not cool; sure you could split receivers etc, but when you're gonna start getting into that, you may as well just remove the gearbox and build one for abroad, and one for domestic.

    And that brings me nicely onto my next point; is there actually that much of a difference with higher fps guns tuned versus Irish limit guns tuned? I'll plead ignorance here and admit that I don't even know what the Swedish limit is :o


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭ Leftyflip


    Inari wrote: »
    Personally I don't like the idea of the VVD - your gearbox is still pulling a heavier spring, causing a greater degree of wear and tear on the gearbox.

    The concept is having a good air seal, and a poor air seal. Most players travelling to events will go to lets say (rounding up) 3 a year, and for arguments sake we'll space it out evenly; 1x Event every 4 months. If you're competent with opening a gearbox, it wouldn't be much to swap springs for the events, and is better for your gearbox in the long run.

    Puding is dead right though - using a long metal rod to adjust this through the barrel of your gun is not cool; sure you could split receivers etc, but when you're gonna start getting into that, you may as well just remove the gearbox and build one for abroad, and one for domestic.

    And that brings me nicely onto my next point; is there actually that much of a difference with higher fps guns tuned versus Irish limit guns tuned? I'll plead ignorance here and admit that I don't even know what the Swedish limit is :o

    I had a response in my head similar to this, but instead I opted for the grumpy tech one.

    *grumble, grumble* stupid product is stupid *grumble grumble*


  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ fayer


    Eo1n8wrd wrote: »
    Bit sad that 177 people viewed this but only three offered an opinion! What happened to the old days when people on boards would argue the color of an Orange!!!

    Most of the oldskool heads got a pain in the ass with the place and moved elsewhere....


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 Decoy


    Eo1n8wrd wrote: »
    Bit sad that 177 people viewed this but only three offered an opinion! What happened to the old days when people on boards would argue the color of an Orange!!!
    fayer wrote: »
    Most of the oldskool heads got a pain in the ass with the place and moved elsewhere....


    Or perhaps the lack of responses is due to the fact that this device is far from new and has already been discussed, at length, and there is nothing left to discuss/debate??

    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74172839


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭ bullets


    The Airsoft Shop in William Street in Limerick has some of these in stock at
    the moment in case anyone wanted to pick one up to fiddle and experiment with. (keeping under the 1j of course) They've their own thread on the
    retailers section so I wont post a link to their shop here.

    Legalwise I dont see why there would be any issue. Airsoft guns are capable
    of fireing over the limit by changing a spring, or gas in some GBB cases.
    and also there are NPAS kits and downgrade valves for GBB's/NBB's that can be adjusted/changed/removed
    Newer designs like the G&G G2010 show you can adjust the FPS a bit without
    modifying anything, then there are quick change systems etc. If any of these are to be questioned legal wise then you can argue back and fourth until the cows come home.......then there's external rigs, the grenade being ammo or the BB's being the ammo debate and is it over/under 1j etc etc etc etc.

    ~B


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭ BioHazRd


    Inari wrote: »
    And that brings me nicely onto my next point; is there actually that much of a difference with higher fps guns tuned versus Irish limit guns tuned? I'll plead ignorance here and admit that I don't even know what the Swedish limit is :o

    I dont know about the higher FPS guns being tuned (probably not), but I distinctly remember a whole squad of us being chronoed mid game in Sennybridge a couple of years back "as we were seriously outranging the opposition" (who were firing at around 350) and the suggestion was made that we had hot guns. We all avearaged at 0.9 Joule :) Last time in Sennybridge, a marshall chronoed me at 1 Joule and then asked could he take a few shots with my gun as he couldnt believe the range I was getting.
    I think it is down to the fact that as we are restricted to 1 Joule, those of us who are serious about it will squeeze every last bit of performance out of our gun that we can get. In other countries where they may have higher limits, very often, they buy the gun and go skirmishing without paying too much attention to upgrades.
    Higer FPS does not equate to longer range - your gun needs to be tuned (ie, multiple matched upgrades such as barrell, hop up, motor, mos fet etc)

    Sorry if I went OT, but I was just answering Inaris question


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,160 Inari


    I figured that it wouldn't make that much of a difference, but didn't expect it to be that drastic!

    It's the whole question of power without limits - we're stuck in our little box, and have to make do with what we have. Although they too are stuck in their box, it is roomier and so they use more power as a means of compensating, whereas we compensate due to a lack of power.

    The VVD is, as Puding said, a great means for having one gun for two site-types with differing power limits i.e. indoor setting, outdoor setting. It addresses a non-existent problem for Ireland, and as such there is really no need for it here - sure it can be handy for those travelling, but I doubt it - the lads who tend to bother to travel for a skirmish will normally want superior consistency than the VVD offers, considering their rifle's main use would be domestic.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,086 ✭✭✭✭ TheDoc


    There is also seirous misunderstandings about "FPS" and "Velocity" (where is Dex)

    But my understanding higher FPS doesnt give you more range, just makes your BB physically travel faster.

    In Berget we went up against guns at 500fps afaik, and we were coping fine at 1joule.

    As bio says, it forces you to squeeze the last bit of performance out of the paramters you have.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 Puding


    its a difficult one as you can not take any single variable on its own but in short for example in general experience

    untuned high fps aeg > untuned low fps aeg
    tuned low fps aeg > untuned high fps aeg
    tuned hight fps aeg > tuned low fps aeg

    as with the irish community in the uk and eurpe there are those that just use their aegs stock and are happy with that

    but with so many variable contributing to the performance and preserved performance of an airsoft device it is never an easy comparison, we like to make ourselves feel better that 1j joule is fine but against and equality tuned aeg at a higher fps of course your going to be out performed


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 T4RGET


    TheDoc wrote: »
    There is also seirous misunderstandings about "FPS" and "Velocity" (where is Dex)

    But my understanding higher FPS doesnt give you more range, just makes your BB physically travel faster.

    In Berget we went up against guns at 500fps afaik, and we were coping fine at 1joule.

    As bio says, it forces you to squeeze the last bit of performance out of the paramters you have.

    I probably know squat compared to Dex but have some understanding of it, so I'll throw in my two cents. from what i can gather FPS has very little effect on FPS, i know it does effect it but so little that it may as well not effect it. take this example, a car travelling at 100km/h or a car travelling at 50km/h, both have the same destination, take the same route and are in all way identical (for this example) the one travelling at 100 is going to get there quicker, so what you're saying is right, FPS tells you how fast it gets to the target, both the cars have the same distance to get but the one travelling faster gets there faster. there's probably some holes in that 'theory' but it's the best i can come up with.


  • Registered Users Posts: 701 Eo1n8wrd


    So, What are all the Irish guys doing to tune theirs to squeeze all the range and precision out of 1J?


  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ Harveey


    Eo1n8wrd I think BioHazRd answered perfectly to what most Irish airsofter's do to get as much out of their aeg as possible. I've seen it countless time myself small changes to the likes of the barrel, hop up and motor can dramatically improve the range on any aeg.
    BioHazRd wrote: »
    Higer FPS does not equate to longer range - your gun needs to be tuned (ie, multiple matched upgrades such as barrell, hop up, motor, mos fet etc)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 Stonewolf


    It's not without its problems though, I found upgrading the barrel and hop in my G36 gave it air seal issues which I have yet to satisfactorily resolve.


  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭ horgan_p


    Stonewolf wrote: »
    It's not without its problems though, I found upgrading the barrel and hop in my G36 gave it air seal issues which I have yet to satisfactorily resolve.

    I assume you tried ptfe tape ??


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 Stonewolf


    horgan_p wrote: »
    I assume you tried ptfe tape ??

    and how, but diagnosing my problems isn't the point of this thread. I'm just pointing out that it's not as simple as it sounds.


  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ Harveey


    Trial and error is what most player's do, it won't just happen straight away. Trying different barrells, different hop up rubbers. Some player's have certain brands they will use like madbull or gaurder. It's up to the player taking the time to find what works the best and continuosly trying to improve on it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,160 Inari


    Harveey wrote: »
    Trial and error is what most player's do, it won't just happen straight away. Trying different barrells, different hop up rubbers. Some player's have certain brands they will use like madbull or gaurder. It's up to the player taking the time to find what works the best and continuosly trying to improve on it.

    And also finding what works best for what rifle. Some combinations just do not work with other guns, for whatever reason. Trial and error really is the only way


Advertisement