Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked a tooth....emergency dental cover

Options
  • 04-01-2012 12:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

I cracked a tooth, can I qualify for emergency dental work on my Quinnhealth plan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nick1984

how bad is the cracked tooth, you should be able to get emegencey dental work done ring your insurer and ask them who is your local dentist which will do this under your cover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Doom wrote: »
    I cracked a tooth, can I qualify for emergency dental work on my Quinnhealth plan?

Do you have a separate dental option to your plan or on one of the regular healthcare plans only??

If you pay extra for a dental plan then maybe.

If just on regular healthcare- no... All they will cover is surgical removal of impacted or unerupted teeth and the surgical removal of roots (not a tooth with a crown or portion of a crown in the mouth. Filling or root canals are not covered by these plans.

Check your T&C

Good luck,
    OS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Thanks for the info, know if any thing covered under a doctor visit only, medical card?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Thanks for the info, know if any thing covered under a doctor visit only, medical card?

Sorry not sure exactly what you mean here?

There are two types of medical card, the full benefit and Doctor visit only card, I have a doctor visit card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

There are two types of medical card, the full benefit and Doctor visit only card, I have a doctor visit card

if your doctor does not do dental work then you are out of luck.:(

Just curious, how do you qualify for a medical card if you have Quinn Healthcare insurance?

Anyone know what dental work is covered under PRSI these days? is it still a examination and clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mush500

Just an examination doom

Just curious, how do you qualify for a medical card if you have Quinn Healthcare insurance?

Because I qualify for one and therefore entitled to one simple, btw what makes you think i'm well off just because I pay medical insurance.
    its a gp visit card not a goldcard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Dental is not covered on a GP only card, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

I had a similar issue with my wife cracking her tooth which needed to be removed and root canalled ... Initially VHI refused to pay as they didn't cover root canals , but I fought it as it was required as a result of an accident. (Our daughter jumped up and smacked her chin from below with her head, resulting in the broken tooth )
    I got a letter from both dentist involved stating that this was emergency dental work as per the policy ...

Eventually they paid the 500 Euros which was the maximuim limit allowed for emergency dental .. It didn't cover the cost of the treatment, but was better than nothing ...

Because I qualify for one and therefore entitled to one simple, btw what makes you think i'm well off just because I pay medical insurance.
    its a gp visit card not a goldcard

Just asking, no need to get your knickers in a twist. I was of the understanding that people got medical cards if they were of limited means, not someone who can afford to drop a grand on medical insurance- thats all.... I never said that you were well off...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Just asking, no need to get your knickers in a twist. I was of the understanding that people got medical cards if they were of limited means, not someone who can afford to drop a grand on medical insurance- thats all.... I never said that you were well off...

I totally agree with you... it seems mad that medical cards and doctors visit cards are given out like this... seems if you can spin a sob story you can get one... would someone be intitled to one if you told them you could afford medical insurance???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Easy on there lads. As we all know, many gainfully employed people were recently thrown on the scrap heap and given medical cards to make them feel better. Some of them will have been in the habit of paying for private medical insurance and may have elected to continue to do that rather than rely on the public "service'.

Many people on the dole drink and smoke. Others buy private health insurance.

I recently met one who has endured unemployment for 3 years but still pays for his 2 kids in private school. (two really nice polite kids they were).

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Easy on there lads. As we all know, many gainfully employed people were recently thrown on the scrap heap and given medical cards to make them feel better. Some of them will have been in the habit of paying for private medical insurance and may have elected to continue to do that rather than rely on the public "service'.

Many people on the dole drink and smoke. Others buy private health insurance.

I recently met one who has endured unemployment for 3 years but still pays for his 2 kids in private school. (two really nice polite kids they were).

Ah well thats okay if it is to make them feel better.... !!!!

In all reality now lads....

Nobody said anything about drinking or smoking on the dole.... god you need some comforts....

But to get a medical card when you have private insurance.... surely this is ridiculous.... medical cards are meant to be means tested.... paid for by the government (us) then why should the government (us) supply someone with a medical card when they have private insurance.... and I dont just mean people on the dole... i heard of someone on above average wages with health insurance paid for by his employer and who applied for a medical card and got one!!!... come on lads...

if anybody has private insurance then they should not get a medical card...

And as for the bloke who sends his kids to private school.... he must have saved a good bit in the good times....fair f*** to him but i doubt if he has a medical card....

Advertisement