Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MB CLK 200 vs BMW 520d

Options
  • 03-01-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

I know I know...2 completely different cars but what you go for?

1. 2007 BMW 520d, 59k miles, 2l disel, automatic, leather, nct until mid 2013, tax out, 2 years warranty, 14.5k with trade in..."common as muck", mrs (and I) like

2. 2007 Merc CLK 200, 83k miles, 1.8l petrol, manual, leather, NYt until mid 2013, tax out, 6 months warranty, 13.5k with trade in...not as common as muck, easy drive/park etc..I like

Car will be used by wife mostly but will be a lot of miles for business (approx 25k/yr). First feedback (called the kids) prefer the merc....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Who cares what people think? The 520d will pay the extra outlay in a year. That's if you're keeping to those two options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

For that kind of miles I would easily have the BMW. 25k a year in a CLK200 is going to cost you. Is the 520d a manual too? Auto apparently is a much better choice. BMW will be better than the Mercedes is almost every single way in terms of space, fuel economy and wouldn't be far off in terms of performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

i have a clk and it is great. i find it has enough power (however my previous car was a focus!). on the motorway, i gert approx 40mpg and 20-25 urban driving.

however, as 166man said, you should go for the bmw diesel if doin those kind of miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd have the BMW every time, especially with the Mercedes being manual. By the way, is this the BMW? http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201148205931910 If so you'll have to budget for a set of rubber tyres, note also that the car lacks the electric seats that the ad says it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd have the BMW every time, especially with the Mercedes being manual. By the way, is this the BMW? http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201148205931910 If so you'll have to budget for a set of rubber tyres, note also that the car lacks the electric seats that the ad says it has.

Could be wrong on this, but I think all E60s have electric seat height and backrest angle adjustment? I know they're being a little economical with the truth though as it's not full electric seat adjustment :)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Could be wrong on this, but I think all E60s have electric seat height and backrest angle adjustment?
    I think you're right, but full electric adjustment is an extra that that car doesn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The 4-pot petrol engine in the Merc isn't great and whoever bought that car new with a manual transmission is a feckin' eejit :D
    EPM wrote: »
    The 520d will pay the extra outlay in a year.

A year? Make that a few months. At 25k miles the savings in fuel of the 45MPG 520d over the 25MPG CLK200 are about €3,000 per year

I'm no fan of diesel. But if you do a big mileage, it doesn't make financial sense to go petrol...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

no contest...520d

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If that is the actual 520d that Anan1 linked to then it is the pre LCI model which has the older 163bhp M47 engine, it also has the older slush box.

The LCI 520d came out in March 2007 and has the more reliable N47 engine. The N47 engine has 177bhp, is more fuel efficent due to having efficent dynamics, is quieter and has a redesigned manifold so doesn't suffer from the well documented swirl flap issues of the M47 engine.

I'd find a LCI model with the newer auto box, easiest way to tell the difference is the LCI model has rear LED lights and slightly different bumper design.

Pre LCI E60:
    media?xwm=y&id=13122046&width=400&height=300
    Pre LCI rear halogen light cluster.

LCI E60:
    media?xwm=y&id=fdf363ce-6e63-4283-becb-5f7d9c178192&width=400&height=300
    LCI rear LED light cluster and bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The updated 520d engine actually came after the car was facelifted. Early LCI 520ds have the 163 hp engine. I think it was only from 08 onwards that the newer engine was introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

520d is one to go for, auto box means no issue with DMF and will be a but for me the 2 year warranty is a major plus versus the Merc- in two years the Merc will have circa 130k on it and will 1). be worthless and 2). had a far chance of some expensive work needed.

A later 177 bhp 520d will be more economical but you won't likely notice the extra power and will be much harder to find unless you step up to a 2008 plate

If your buying from Dermot Healy's you won't go to far wrong, they are well respected for second hand cars

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The updated 520d engine actually came after the car was facelifted. Early LCI 520ds have the 163 hp engine. I think it was only from 08 onwards that the newer engine was introduced.

Nope, I know someone with a May 07 with the N47 engine. The new engine included ED.

Advertisement