Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paramedic

Options
  • 03-01-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

im an 18 year old male with an efr qualification and experience with omac . am looking to be a paramedic after leaving cert . plz help out . having trouble finding a way in. will go any route to get in

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

most OMAC units have a paramedic or AP in them. I'd suggest speaking to them about it but at the moment the only way to get qualifications in Ireland as a Paramedic is through the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

im an 18 year old male with an efr qualification and experience with omac . am looking to be a paramedic after leaving cert . plz help out . having trouble finding a way in. will go any route to get in

You will have to wait until there is a recruitment from the HSE National Ambulance Service or Dublin Fire Brigade.
    For NAS you will need you leaving cert with a science subject and a penalty points free B and C1 driving licence. It is not a matter of trying "any route", there are recruitment guidelines to be met which are very strict.
    The required guidelines can be found here on Boards and also the HSE National Ambulance Service web pages.

Experience with voluntary ambulance organisations can certainly stand for you.

The best of luck with your studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bang Bang wrote: »
    You will have to wait until there is a recruitment from the HSE National Ambulance Service or Dublin Fire Brigade.
    For NAS you will need you leaving cert with a science subject and a penalty points free B and C1 driving licence. It is not a matter of trying "any route", there are recruitment guidelines to be met which are very strict.
    The required guidelines can be found here on Boards and also the HSE National Ambulance Service web pages.

Experience with voluntary ambulance organisations can certainly stand for you.

The best of luck with your studies.

You sure its a penalty points affect you? I was told by HSE HR (that double checked for me as I've two) that two points were fine and as long as my licence was free from any endorsements and an "excessive" amount of penalty points.

As for the OP, it might be worth sticking around for the OMAC EMT course which would stand to you in any application to the NAS. You'll need to get your driving licences in order too.

Although application criteria may change, the last time round you needed a C1 licence and by the time you qualified you needed a D1 licence too.

The leaving cert requirements were very basic too, (the NATS website no longer exsists) but as far as I remember it included leaving cert science. These may change.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ambo112

In order to get the D1 you need to be 21. Go to the UK and complete the 4 year Paramedic course in any of the several colleges, you can do this at the age of 18. If you decide to return, you can get recognition as an AP at 22 years old :D.

ambo112 wrote: »
    In order to get the D1 you need to be 21. Go to the UK and complete the 4 year Paramedic course in any of the several colleges, you can do this at the age of 18. If you decide to return, you can get recognition as an AP at 22 years old :D.

You'll still need a driving licence for most of them (varies from whatever ambulance trust the college works with)

Look into the UCAS system if your going that route.

There are 2 and 3 year paramedic science degrees over there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Necter202

Thats not right at all, you have to go through a lot of exams by PHECC before you will be considered a paramedic no matter where you train outside of ireland, then you do 12 months as a trainee with a qualified paramedic if you get an area to take you on, during that time you have 12 assessment to do, at least 1or 2 weeks being assessed by the training officer in your area, if you pass all that then you have to be 2 or 3 years post paramedic before you can even apply for AP, you do have to be 21 for D1, you will here loads loads of people telling you different ways, if you ring PHECC they will tell you same or any operation performance manger in the HSE, good luck. It's a great job but very hard to get into now

Necter202 wrote: »
    Thats not right at all, you have to go through a lot of exams by PHECC before you will be considered a paramedic no matter where you train outside of ireland, then you do 12 months as a trainee with a qualified paramedic if you get an area to take you on, during that time you have 12 assessment to do, at least 1or 2 weeks being assessed by the training officer in your area, if you pass all that then you have to be 2 or 3 years post paramedic before you can even apply for AP, you do have to be 21 for D1, you will here loads loads of people telling you different ways, if you ring PHECC they will tell you same or any operation performance manger in the HSE, good luck. It's a great job but very hard to get into now

PHECC will recognise training and determine where you are on the register based on the training you received, it has nothing to do with the HSE, they do not register or license anyone!

You WILL be recognised as an Advanced Paramedic, the UK paramedic is the European standard! You may have to do some road time as an AP intern but that is it - contact PHECC they will agree.

You do NOT need a drivers license.

http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/Paramedic-Science.cfm

The above link is the Honours Paramedic, some colleges do foundation courses etc. This is the best.

PHECC will recognise training and determine where you are on the register based on the training you received, it has nothing to do with the HSE, they do not register or license anyone!

You WILL be recognised as an Advanced Paramedic, the UK paramedic is the European standard! You may have to do some road time as an AP intern but that is it - contact PHECC they will agree.

You do NOT need a drivers license.

The above link is the Honours Paramedic, some colleges do foundation courses etc. This is the best.

Ambu look again...
    Applicants should be physically fit and have a full clean UK driving licence with a provisional C1 entitlement.

Plenty of them do need a driving licence, believe me I've spent long enough looking at them.....

BX 19 wrote: »
    Ambu look again...

Plenty of them do need a driving licence, believe me I've spent long enough looking at them.....

Ha ha, too late for me i think :D

You can get the provisional at 18 with just the theory test and transfer it to a UK equivalent easily enough :)

Only problem with that our learner permit won't transfer between states, so you'll have to get a full C1 here or get a UK address to send their provisional to. It's a bit messy.

• Advertisement

You WILL be recognised as an Advanced Paramedic providing you pass the PHECC equivalency tests and application process which is dealt with on a case by case basis

fixed that for ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Go to the UK and complete the 4 year Paramedic course in any of the several colleges, you can do this at the age of 18. If you decide to return, you can get recognition as an AP at 22 years old :D.

It's not as straight forward as you make out ambo112. There are Paramedics within the NAS who went the route you mentioned here and they are practicing as Paramedics and not as Advanced Paramedics. They will have to take the same route as us all within the NAS and that is through the internal competition, the next of which is due next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Necter202

Bang Bang wrote: »
    It's not as straight forward as you make out ambo112. There are Paramedics within the NAS who went the route you mentioned here and they are practicing as Paramedics and not as Advanced Paramedics. They will have to take the same route as us all within the NAS and that is through the internal competition, the next of which is due next month.

Very true, it's not that straight forward at all, ambu 112 ask any of the lads that came back from other countries either eu or non eu, they have jumped through hoops and still didnt get jobs.PHECC do approve licence but NAS decide who they employ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Anygivenday

I currently just finish my 3rd year honours degree liverpool john moores university, paramedic sciences. If i was you and if you want to make a big differenced in life, make your way to England to a university. The standard of training in England is out of this world compare to the standard in Ireland, you will come back to Ireland as a advance paramedic no question, .Paramedic in England can iv cannulation, io cannulation, chest decompression , needle cricothyrotomy,intubation,give many different life saving drugs ( approx 40) , sadly Pronounce people dead (no GP) , thrombolysis MI patent, have authority to treat patient at there own home (and dont all have to travel to hospital). Your UK Qualification will be recognised all over the world. :)

^

Whats the fees like for an Irish National, Anygivenday?

The standard of training in England is out of this world compare to the standard in Ireland..........................give many different life saving drugs ( approx 40)

In your 3rd year and still don't know exactly many meds you can give? Yeah world class alright :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

BX 19

If you get excepted into university, well I know ljmu were I trained our fees where paid for every year, so I was very lucky, because I was a EU student.:)

Miju

Every so often our drug protocol changes, new drugs come in, old drugs go out and then they often come back in again :D:D:D:D:D:D

Miju

Every so often our drug protocol changes, new drugs come in, old drugs go out and then they often come back in again :D:D:D:D:D:D

But surely a world class system would be able to make sure you keep up to date, especially someone currently studying it in college.

Alas I digress ;)

Am very much update with my drug protocol, you have to be on my job, especially administered them on a daily basics :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

I currently just finish my 3rd year honours degree liverpool john moores university, paramedic sciences. If i was you and if you want to make a big differenced in life, make your way to England to a university. The standard of training in England is out of this world compare to the standard in Ireland, you will come back to Ireland as a advance paramedic no question, not a half baked potato like the paramedics in Ireland. Paramedic in England can iv cannulation, io cannulation, chest decompression , needle cricothyrotomy, give many different life saving drugs ( approx 40) , sadly Pronounce people dead (no GP) , thrombolysis MI patent, have authority to treat patient at there own home (and dont all have to travel to hospital). Your UK Qualification will be recognised all over the world. :)

I have no doubt that you have a good qualification from the uk. But the skills that you have mentioned are also all skills that an AP has here in Ireland.

(By the way the paramedics in Ireland aren't "half baked potato like paramedics". You don't need to insult us to make a point)

Do you have any dealings with patients or other healthcare providers in your course?

paraletic wrote: »
    I have no doubt that you have a good qualification from the uk. But the skills that you have mentioned are also all skills that an AP has here in Ireland.

(By the way the paramedics in Ireland aren't "half baked potato like paramedics". You don't need to insult us to make a point)

Do you have any dealings with patients or other healthcare providers in your course?

Liverpool John Moore Uni
    Course overview

Paramedics have a highly responsible and demanding role. That's why this course is designed to fully prepare you in both practice and theory for this dynamic profession.
    As you progress under supervision you will be challenged to adapt quickly as situations change. The course will help you develop the interpersonal skills you need to care for people in distressing circumstances. Working alongside other health professionals and other emergency services will also promote development of strong leadership skills. Ultimately you will have the confidence to work effectively and independently.

The Faculty’s patient simulators allow you to practice essential clinical skills in a controlled environment, increasing your confidence before managing real patients. Work-based learning is integral to this programme and you will spend 50% of your time in supervised and supported clinical practice in a variety of healthcare settings. Classroom teaching is in blocks followed by placements so that you can immediately put what you have learnt into practice.

Year 1
    Core modules:
    • Developing Paramedic Practice
    • Introduction to Paramedic Practice
    • Fundamentals of Paramedic Sciences
    • Perspectives of Health
    • Professional Studies for Integrative Care
    Year 2
    Core modules:
    • Advancing Paramedic Practice
    • Applied Paramedic Science
    • Research Methodologies for Paramedics
    • Promoting Professional Identity
    • Complexities of Paramedic Practice
    Assessment and feedback

We acknowledge that all students perform differently depending on how they are assessed, which is why we use a combination of assessment methods. These include: essays, portfolios, projects, seminar presentations, scenarios, clinical appraisals, examinations and demonstration of practical competencies.
    Students get full detailed feedback from all assignments. For written assignments this is through a report from the Senior Lecturer. For Objective Structured Clinical Examination assessments students will get both verbal and written feedback. Student can ask for one to one discussions about performance for all assessment types.
    Furthermore your graduate skills and World of Work Skills Certificate details will be published in your Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR), providing employers with extensive evidence of your development as a professional as well as your academic achievements at LJMU.
    Work-related learning

Fees for this programme are paid by the Department of Health. Your practice placements are integral to this programme. You will spend 50% of your time in supervised and supported clinical practice. You will experience a range of shift patterns. Placements will include: frontline emergency care, accident and emergency departments, health centres, ambulance control centres, hospital operating theatres, and critical care facilities.

Placements will mainly be in the Merseyside and Cheshire area, however we cannot guarantee that all placements will be close to your home.
    Support and guidance

You will have support from paramedics and other healthcare staff who will be your mentors during your clinical placements. In addition, you will be allocated a Personal Tutor at LJMU, who will give you feedback on how you are progressing with your studies and help you to plan for your educational and career development.

Definitely no need to say that the Irish paramedic is half baked compared to the English one but there is a significant skills gap between the two and it's worth noting that there is a higher tier in the english EMS system, the ECP above paramedic. They're several years ahead of us. :(

Anyways as an EMT here, I'm hoping that it would stand me in any application in the UK university , might stand a better chance then waiting for the HSE to hire again. Plus your left with a better qualification too in Liverpool.

BX19
    Good luck whatever you choose.

I admit uk system is different to here (every country uses different systems). The Irish standard of prehospital practitioners is very good at all levels.
    Don't go to uk thinking its better than here, just like practitioners here shouldnt feel better than practitioners from another system. - they are all different.
    You may have a problem in Irish EMS at the moment because of recruitment (not the method of recruitment, just the lack of recruitment...)

Am sorry I don't mean to insult anyone, it isn't Irish paramedics fault ,its the health system in Ireland is a disgrace. All paramedic in Ireland should be trained to the highest level, and am sure someday soon it will be, soon as the government wakes up.

I did my EMT training in Galway, and then I apply for UK which I got in.

Did 24 months in ljmu full time, 2days a week in uni and two 12hours shifts a week on the ambul/RRV, through out the 24 monts i also did loads of hospitals placement. theatre placement for intubation training, Paediatric placement, Maternity placement, loads of different placements.

Once I complete my 24months training, I started full time employment, I did my 3rd year part time over 14months period.

Did 24 months in ljmu full time, 2days a week in uni and two 12hours shifts a week on the ambul/RRV, through out the 24 monts i also did loads of hospitals placement. theatre placement for intubation training, Paediatric placement, Maternity placement, loads of different placements.

Once I complete my 24months training, I started full time employment, I did my 3rd year part time over 14months period.

That does sound like a (very) cool way to do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Am sorry I don't mean to insult anyone, it isn't Irish paramedics fault ,its the health system in Ireland is a disgrace. All paramedic in Ireland should be trained to the highest level, and am sure someday soon it will be, soon as the government wakes up.

Living the dream Anygivenday!

Can I ask how did you finance yourself throughout the 24 months? I assume placements were not paid?

EDIT: Also, how were the fees paid for in university? Did you go it alone or were you sponsored by the NHS?

Advertisement