Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want out!

Options
  • 03-01-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I have worked for a major multi national company for 13 years - I joined straight of college and am fairly well paid.
    Problem is over the last 6 months i have become increasingly unhappy with my job and the pressures that go with are starting to affect me health wise.

Im begining to have anxierty issues, problems eating & sleeping, constantly nervous at work. My only pleasure in life is getting to 5pm on a Friday to when I can begin to feel normal again.

Dont get me wrong i know i shud be happy to have a well paid job in these difficult times but on the other hand I cant go on feeling like this. Things will get worse before they get any better and I cant hang in much longer.

I have a gentlemans agreement with my boss that he wud allow me to get voluntary redundancy next time it comes up. But its not officially available right now (even tho i know some peopkle who have got it).

Im thinking of approaching my boss and asking him to keep to his side of the agreement and to give me redundancy. If he doesnt then am I mad to quit? shud i tell my boss that i will be seeking work elsewhere? Should I just man up and stick it out? Should I go see a doctor to get advice?

I am married with a kid and the missus is a stay at home mom so they are my priority.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Do up a CV
    Look for a new job
    When you get one hand in your notice and Start said new job

If your lucky redundancy might come up in between and you get the best of both worlds ,but I would not risk going unemployed even for a good redundancy package when you are the only income in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I would risk redundancy, you're on the welfare shuttle to med cards and so on and you'll have more money and benefits that'll keep you happy for a year or so.

Also if you find work the redundancy is a nice cushion ~ in fact many people in your predicament took the redundancy to make their own start up. Most of them who did, would never have had the start-up cash otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

gbee wrote: »
    I would risk redundancy, you're on the welfare shuttle to med cards and so on and you'll have more money and benefits that'll keep you happy for a year or so.

*facepalm*

The dole isnt what you think it is

People who think they'll have more more money/benefits unemployed need their head examined

OP, I agree you should ask your boss if theres any redundancy coming up and start looking for a new job too

Your health is your wealth :)

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

OP only you and your wife can answer your questions. No one on an internet forum is going through exactly what you are going through. Talk to the Citizens Advice about your job situation and the results in you leaving your job. Look at your finances, do you have 6 months salary saved up as a rainy day fund? Do get medical advice though, don't let this fester. Look at training, educational courses in the evening to occupy your mind.
    Sit down together with your wife and talk.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 25,798 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mr. Mac wrote: »
    Im begining to have anxierty issues, problems eating & sleeping, constantly nervous at work. My only pleasure in life is getting to 5pm on a Friday to when I can begin to feel normal again.

I would very strongly suggest a visit to your GP (and if your current one isn't sympathetic, keep trying others until you find one who is).

There are a range of possible reasons for symptoms like this, and even if you think you know what's causing the problem, you could well be missing something that a qualified professional (as opposed to randoms on the internet) will pick up.

Your doctor may suggest you go on sick leave for a period, to see if that helps. And they will have some other options for you too.

Also, as others have said, how about job hunting???

• Advertisement
Advertisement