Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review my webcatalogue

Options
  • 03-01-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hallo all my friends! I have launched new free webcatalogue for website owners www.fokebox.com
    I have also made some additional options for all like creating world web map of all registered websites (E-map)
    So review it, comment it and test it please!
    Kind regards,
    Fokebox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fokebox

I have developed the registration form! Review and try it )

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Hate that design. Homepage feels like one of those websites for parked domains.
    E-map looks pretty cool though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pixie_dust

I agree with the above poster, it looks like a parked domain.

I don't really get the main point or purpose of the website when I first visit it - maybe you could add a tagline or description underneath the logo. I think you need to account for people who may not be web savvy, they wouldn't have a clue what the site is for.

Also there is no real design elements such as colour, theme, imagery, or structure to the site; which would add more appeal & interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I absolutely fail to see the purpose of this site ??

Web directories are a thing of the past, nobody uses them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Site looks dodgy to me, like the type of site that gives you virus' and the like, I know it doesnt but thats how it comes across to me so was straight outta there.

• Advertisement

Thanks for critics and suggestions. May be open directories are not so pupoluar, but I have some ideas to implement to make it very interesting for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

I love the name. I was just thinking of the people I'll be recommending to Foke Box.

I love the name. I was just thinking of the people I'll be recommending to Foke Box.
    Thanks for such positive comment :) ... so how many people have you recommened to fokebox? :)
    Foke - means "focused" - http://www.chrononhotonthologos.com/fokewarr.htm
    and box means "box" so the idea of the map I have made is focus all websites there. Now it is 72 websites registered :)

I have added follow us buttons )
    1) google+
    2) facebook
    3) Twitter
    So now you can click one of these buttons to recommend others the website! Hope you'll like it )

I have improved the search engine. The words highlight that you look for ... and changes the order of search results!
    Hope you like it here is the example:
    http://www.fokebox.com/search.php?q=hosting

• Advertisement

Just curious, do you get any traffic to the site ?

Overflow wrote: »
    Not yet :(, I would like to increse it of course, I have achieved some results according to alexa.com. Now it is > 1 000 000, but it was < 2 000 000. ) ... so I need more visits and registrations!
    And I have made also some updates. So I have made a Blog with the latest news!

Hello all again! There are some updates at my website. I have made a Blog page with the latest news about the directory where you can post your comments. Also I would like to ask you to press social buttons if you really like the project!
    Best regards,
    Fokebox

Hello all! I have just made one update which all website owners will like it. There is a random website section on the index page. So if someone submit url then his/her website can be displayed for free there! Hope you like such idea! )))

Hello again ... I have also developed a Blog page! Where you can also post your comments! Feef free to post there =)

Hello all again! I have added two new updates:
    1) Now you can se how many users online
    2) And I have changed the paging which is better than the old one )

Thx all for good suggestions and kind words! I would like to inform you that now there are direct link at my web directory. I have recieved some massages that people don't like to submit url at web directories without direct links. So I found a solution to escape using redirects ))) So I hope all registered users like such idea and others will submit url with direct links to their website at my free web directory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

These Link Directories are terrible for SEO. I wouldnt spend any more time developing and move onto something else.

Why not experiment with a classified ads site like Donedeal or something? A directory for something else apart from other peoples sites.

Well I can say that my web directory is frendly to serach engines and links of all registered websites are direct

Fokebox wrote: »
    Well I can say that my web directory is frendly to serach engines and links of all registered websites are direct

Seriously. If you knew anything about SEO you would know that Google punishes link directories and people who use them hard. Its been that way for years.

Also just whats the point? Put your time into something that will make you money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tatrman

Thanks for such positive comment :) ... so how many people have you recommened to fokebox? :)
    Foke - means "focused" - http://www.chrononhotonthologos.com/fokewarr.htm
    and box means "box" so the idea of the map I have made is focus all websites there. Now it is 72 websites registered :)

not sure if it was positive comment :D One thing is what it means and the other how does it sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

I have recieved some massages that people don't like to submit url at web directories without direct links. So I found a solution to escape using redirects
    To paraphrase this slightly...

"I've changed this from a directory which carries extremely low value to one that potentially does negative harm."

To reiterate what others have said, the directory is horrid for SEO.

There's no added value there for users, there's no topical focus, there's no geographical focus, there's no editorial management of the quality of the submissions (or if there is it needs to dramatically increase), there's nothing to make a user want to visit that site and at the moment the site is nothing but a large doorway page that search engines will see as an attempt at manipulating rankings.

Small tweaks aren't going to fix the issues here, it requires going back to the drawing board completely.

The site gets some traffic, but now too much as I would like to :o
    And I have made an important update! All registered users can review other websites. Post massages and later give personal rating! Hope it will help to get more traffic =)

A new update has been done! Now you can see alexa traffic rank of all registered websites at discussion page!

Looks like a page that somebody didnt pay their renewal fees.

A new update has been done! Now you can see alexa traffic rank of all registered websites at discussion page!

What is the purpose of this site ? I cant understand why anybody would use such a site. Just repeating what was said already, these type of sites where used years ago to manipulate search engine rankings, they had no other real purpose. If somebody is looking for a website they will use a search engine. Why would i come here to look a list of 197 rubbish websites.

Sorry if i seem harsh, but its the truth. If this was just some sort of side project to learn about web development then its a perfectly good exercise, which by now, you have completed. Time to move on.

You will NOT get any real traffic to this site. Just other website owners trying to get a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

What is the purpose of this site ? I cant understand why anybody would use such a site.

This is just it. If you can answer the above questions well, then your site will be effective. As is, you cannot, hence the low traffic & usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Design seems a bit... plain and empty? creates a feeling that there is nothing of interest on website :(
    Oh and on 1920x1200 (at least my res) the website alignment is messed up. I have huge white space on right side.

Advertisement