Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TIPS FOR A MATURE STUDENT?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I'm applying to DCU as a mature student. The course I'm applying to is "physical education with biology". I was wondering If you guys could have a look at my personal statement below and see if its enough or too little? i don't want to bore them to death with it but want them to know what I've done since leaving college. While I was in sallynoggin college I done alot of Anatomy and Physiology - do you think i should put all that in because it relates to the course or will a brief overview do and then when the interview comes along i can elaborate more? I've applyed to other colleges and courses but this really really is the big one and all the other courses i applied to are going to be stepping stones for this one. If anyone has the time to reply with advice that would be great.

"Why I wish to pursue a Degree in Physical education and Biology in DCU.

I’ve always known in some way that I wanted to pursue a career in the education department. After finishing secondary school, I was still unsure as to what my next step should be. Career guidance counsellors noted that my interests tended to be dominated by sport and fitness and ergo suggested I go and complete a certificate in leisure management and fitness instruction in Sallynoggin College of Further Education. They reasoned that the course would open up doors to a variety of different degree programs and whilst completing the two year certificate, I could take the time to decide where exactly I wanted to go in life. During a four week placement on this course, I came to the conclusion that I wanted to teach. Using contacts from my old school, St. Brendan’s, I secured a four week placement shadowing a physical education teacher. After three weeks assisting her and seeing how to structure a class, she allowed me to take control of her classes for a week and I enjoyed it so immensely, that it served to reaffirm to me that this was exactly what I wanted to do as a career. She gave me a list of courses to look into after I left Sallynoggin, and yours was the one that clearly stood out to me above the rest.
    I feel I possess a lot of excellent qualities that will allow me to succeed in your course:
    • A passion for sport and exercise
    • Excellent knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the body
    • A willingness to help and teach others
    • An eagerness to keep learning
    Looking at the course structure, I feel very excited and eager to join your course - I feel I will excel in all aspects, from the practical side of physical education, to the intellectual side of education studies.
    I really feel that this course is the right one for me, and will be fundamental to giving me the skills I need to move forward and pursue my ideal career, and that is why it’s my top choice for September 2012."

Thanks in Advance

Adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Looks good to me :D In fact it looks better than mine and I managed to get into NUIM. I know how it can be a head wreak doing the statement but honestly it looks great. I think you have everything in it and if they want to know anything they will ask you. If you wanted to add anything in you could pick one particular module on the course and say something along the lines of '(insert subject) is just an example of why I really want to do this course and it is unique to this course and really interest me'
    Kind of hard to explain but basicly big up how great the course is and really know all you can about the course when you get to interview. You will be fine best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Yep, that looks great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If you wanted to add anything in you could pick one particular module on the course and say something along the lines of '(insert subject) is just an example of why I really want to do this course and it is unique to this course and really interest me'

I'd add in something like this to the statement. Also, maybe add in why that particular course stands out to you.

Also, what about hobbies/interests related to sports/science?

I've advise sending 3 references/letters of recommendation if possible. Either work or education related.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dougiex06

Larianne wrote: »
    I've advise sending 3 references/letters of recommendation if possible. Either work or education related.

I have only one letter of recommendation from my employer stating my quality's in time keeping work ethic and stuff like that but I would probably be better getting one from a teacher explaining academic quality's?!

Would these all be just attached to the supplementary application form? there's no where near enough space in those columns.

thanks a million for all this advice, i really appreciate it.

dougiex06 wrote: »
    I have only one letter of recommendation from my employer stating my quality's in time keeping work ethic and stuff like that but I would probably be better getting one from a teacher explaining academic quality's?!

Would these all be just attached to the supplementary application form? there's no where near enough space in those columns.

thanks a million for all this advice, i really appreciate it.

Yep, get one from one of your tutors from Sallynoggin. Tell them what its for. They usually gear it towards the course you are applying for. And send it in as a supplemental document, yes.

Also, if you could get the teacher whom you shadowed at the school to write you a reference, that would be good for your application.

• Advertisement

Yep, get one from one of your tutors from Sallynoggin. Tell them what its for. They usually gear it towards the course you are applying for. And send it in as a supplemental document, yes.

Also, if you could get the teacher whom you shadowed at the school to write you a reference, that would be good for your application.

All this should be no problem and I'll get on it tomorrow morning, i really appreciate it. Hopefully ill be back on this in a month or two looking for interview advice..

thanks a million guys

Best of luck! :)

I'd add in something like this to the statement. Also, maybe add in why that particular course stands out to you.

Also, what about hobbies/interests related to sports/science?

Hay Larianne, Ive updated it a bit, a few people on another forum suggested I take out the bit about the guidance councilor as they felt it looked as if I was pushed towards a sports related course as opposed to wanting it myself so this is what I came up with. It would be great if you could have a quick scan to see if its better or worse?!?!

"Why I wish to pursue a Degree in Physical education and Biology in DCU.

Since completing secondary school I’ve wanted to pursue a career in the education department. The impact some teachers have had on my life was more than enough inspiration to go ahead and look for courses and paths to acquire the skills necessary to get a job in this field. After finishing secondary school, I decided I would complete a two year course I had been looking into in Leisure Management and Fitness instruction in Sallynoggin college of Further Education. My reason behind this is that it would open up doors to a varity other degree programs while gaining relevant knowledge with modules such as; Anatomy and Physiology, Nutrition, Fitness class structuring and professional conduct, during the two year certificate.
    By far the most important module for me was work experience – it was during this that I came to the conclusion that I wanted to teach. Using contacts from my old school, St. Brendan’s, I secured a four week placement shadowing a physical education teacher. After three weeks assisting her and seeing how to structure a class, she allowed me to take control of her classes for a week and I enjoyed it so immensely, that it served to reaffirm to me that this was exactly what I wanted to do as a career. When talking to the teacher about what my goals were after the course she gave me a list of courses to look into after I left Sallynoggin, and yours was the one that clearly stood out to me above the rest.
    I feel I possess a lot of excellent qualities that will allow me to succeed in your course:
    • A passion for sport and exercise
    • Excellent knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the body
    • A willingness to help and teach others
    • An eagerness to keep learning
    Looking at the course structure, I feel very excited and eager to join your course - I feel I will excel in all aspects, from your practical biology module , to your microteaching and teaching preparation module.
    I really feel that this course is the right one for me, and will be fundamental to giving me the skills I need to move forward and pursue my ideal career, and that is why it’s my top choice for September 2012."

Have to wait till schools are back on Monday to get those recommendations :/:mad:

Advertisement