Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interview for primary school teaching in belfast

• 03-01-2012 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hey, i just got a letter saying i have an interview in Stronmillis for primary school teaching but i don't have any idea what I'm going to be asked or what all i need to know. Do I need to know about the Northern Ireland teaching program or just the Republic system as I'm from the south?!

If anyone has gone to an interview over in the UK or up in Belfast and can help in any way, i'd much appreciate it!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd imagine, the UK system,as that is what you'd be working with. Have a look at educationposts.ie for people who might be able to help with specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Don't forget that there isn't one UK system - NI has its on system as do England, Wales and Scotland. There are certain similarities between NI and England nd Wales.

Children start primary school in NI at age 4-5. (Students born on 1st July will start on 1st September after their 5th birthday, students born on 30th June will start on 1st September after their 4th birthday)

The first school year is called P1. The final year, for 10-11 year olds is called P7.

There are various different types of school in NI - see http://www.deni.gov.uk/index/85-schools/10-types_of_school-nischools_pg.htm for more info.

Note that, different to the republic, Irish is not compulsory, apart from Irish language schools. Catholic schools might do a bit, but non-Catholic ones probably won't.

A big issue at the moment is the future of grammar schools and the impact this has on primary schools.

It's also worth having a look at primary school websites to get a feel for what they do.

Also check out BBC Northern Ireland's school pages
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/schools/

Advertisement