Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiate savings rate?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi,
    My fixed term a/c is about to mature and I got a call from the bank to "discuss options". Has anyone tried (or is it possible) to negotiate on rates? Say a 1-year fixed term is 4% - could you try to get 4.1% for example if you agree to leave your money with them?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭checkcheek

its worth tryin, the banks want as much money as they can get, so depends how much they need yours, but i depends on how big a sum u have aswel id say, but tis worth tryin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I remember doing this back in the early 90's when interest rates went through the roof for a while - it probably will depend on how much you are talking about.

The rules have changed quite a bit since the 90's - with current AML legislation banks know that deposits are fairly sticky - so tell them you have an account already in bank x where you can get a rate of y - thats the only way it would work..

Advertisement