Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation needed please!

Options
  • 03-01-2012 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I have just met a cousin of my mother who comes from Derry (country not city) She kept saying "yetmithall / yetmathall" instead of just "yet" or "and yet"

Can anyone tell me where this originates from, or what does it mean? I have googled etc but cannot find reference to it, nor have I ever heard it before. The lady is 75, so wondering if maybe it is a phrase that is only used by older people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im next door in Donegal and have never heard that phrase. Sometimes these phrases can be restricted to specific area but a lot of them are derived from Anglo Scotch dialect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Never heard that? It probably means nothing much idk it didn't sound ulster scots to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I have just met a cousin of my mother who comes from Derry (country not city) She kept saying "yetmithall / yetmathall" instead of just "yet" or "and yet"

Can anyone tell me where this originates from, or what does it mean? I have googled etc but cannot find reference to it, nor have I ever heard it before. The lady is 75, so wondering if maybe it is a phrase that is only used by older people?

A Dub to the rescue it seems, (Wouldn't be the first time either :D )

What she was saying was "Yetinitall" or to break it down "Yet in it all" it is used mainly in county derry but in the town as well. Think of it as a way of saying despite something. It is easier to use examples I guess, There are only two ways I can think of right now using it given below

Say when talking about the weather "The weather man said it would snow but yetinitall it has only rained"

"I didn't think it was going to happen, yetinitall it did!"

d8af3404486a.jpg

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

GAAman wrote: »
    A Dub to the rescue it seems, (Wouldn't be the first time either :D )

What she was saying was "Yetinitall" or to break it down "Yet in it all" it is used mainly in county derry but in the town as well. Think of it as a way of saying despite something. It is easier to use examples I guess, There are only two ways I can think of right now using it given below

Say when talking about the weather "The weather man said it would snow but yetinitall it has only rained"

"I didn't think it was going to happen, yetinitall it did!"

d8af3404486a.jpg

:D

Is it? I'm born and bread and i've never heard tell of it? Is it a derry word? Because i have some pretty old relatives and they never say that. Its funny how your from dublin and you know what that is and i'm born and bread and i've never heard tell of it!

Advertisement