Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job sharing , not only for married women

Options
  • 03-01-2012 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

As a lad that used to work 60 hours a week and now working around 20 , I find that i am living a better lifestyle, they are a lot of advantages to working part time
    • more time with your kids
    • no childcare costs
    • more time to cook healthy and eat healthy
    • more time for exercise ,walking ,cycling ,playing golf, etc
    • you still get out and meet people
    I only see one disadvantage

Less money

There are also some advantages for emloyers as a happy worker is a good worker
    I don`t see any new jobs being created in the world as machine has replaced man power, but our goverment still thinks its going to create 400,000 jobs out of nothing, less work and less money thats the future lets get used to it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I know a couple of ladies who job share and because they are on a good hourly wage it works out really well for them. Previously a large proportion of their wages was eaten up in tax but now they are more or less paying zero tax they reckon they work outwith about a 25% reduction in their take home pay. However for someone who only earns minimum wage or slightly above it would be very hard to manage on 20hrs pay per week especially if you have kids and were previously the main bread winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

From the employers perspective not all jobs are appropriate for job share. In the company I work for, only the receptionist and cleaner job share / work part time. It wouldn't be appropriate for the vast majority of other staff as the lack of continuity would be an issue for most roles.

If the job sharers are paying much less tax then that could also become a problem for the government - they need to increase the tax take, not cut it.

Presumably job sharing in the public sector also affects their pension entitlements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

juan.kerr wrote: »
    From the employers perspective not all jobs are appropriate for job share. In the company I work for, only the receptionist and cleaner job share / work part time. It wouldn't be appropriate for the vast majority of other staff as the lack of continuity would be an issue for most roles.

If the job sharers are paying much less tax then that could also become a problem for the government - they need to increase the tax take, not cut it.

Presumably job sharing in the public sector also affects their pension entitlements?
    Most jobs you can pick up with a few weeks of good training a lot of people go to collage for 4 years and end up in a ****y job anyway doing the samething every day , doctors are even googling now days to see whats wrong with you
    and the goverment will get there tax they will find away to colect it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,799 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

juan.kerr wrote: »

That's a valid argument at times of full employment.

But generally it's better for the government to have two people are paying low tax, than one paying high tax and one getting a benefit.

I'm not keen on "job sharing" as such, which implies one job done by two people. Because if one person leaves, it raises questions about whether the other person has to leave too, even if they weren't planning on it.

I am keen on part time work, though, and would be very happy to do a 4-day week - as someone said, when you're paying close to 50% tax on the top bit of salary, a 20% wage cut can be only a 10% take-home-pay cut.

Don't buy the argument about most jobs not being suitable for it, either. Lots of women who've had children (married or otherwise!) work a short week for some years, and manage to do so very successfully. It's all about planning and communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

There's a good financial self-help book called "Your Money or Your Life" (http://www.amazon.com/Your-Money-Life-Transforming-Relationship/dp/0143115766P).

It's relatively standard, except it has you focus on money as time literally in the amount of work hours you spent making it (i.e. this pint costs half an hour of my life).

The idea is then to focus on minimizing the ways you spend money in order to work less.

• Advertisement
Advertisement