Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.Ed's and HDips in Education - help??

Options
  • 03-01-2012 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hello everyone!!!

I'm a graduate and I'm desperate to get into teaching within the next couple of years, but it seems as though all the M.Ed's and HDips all require 2-3 teaching experience as an entry requirement, which I dont have. I have a degree in English, Media and Cultural Studies, and a Masters in American Lit, and I do occasional voluntary work giving grinds to someone with dyslexia, and in a school as part of a community development programme. I've only been doing these for around six months, and it's occasional, not consistent enough to REALLY count as solid experience. Can anyone help? My only other option is the TEFL-emigration route. Thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

First of all an M.Ed is not a teaching qualification. It seems predictable that such a qualification might be aimed at practising teachers to a fair extent so the requirement for teaching experience presumably is there to ensure that the intake is from the most genuine candidates committed to the field of education.

If by "HDip" you mean PDE (the second-level teaching quaification) then entry to any of the NUI colleges does not require any experience. Plenty of people get into the teaching diploma without any experience in a school whatsoever. Your Master's would be a big help in terms of helping to rack up the necessary points. Closing date for next Sept is next Monday as it happens.

Your lack of a second teaching subject along with English will be seriously problematic in employment terms but that's a concern for another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pjfogarty

Hi,

Just something to think about.The graduate diploma in education in DCU is a two year part time course.The good thing about this course is you can continue to work in a school whilst gaining the qualification.Even if you had to work for nothing,u would gain your experience which you will eventually need anyways.

Advertisement