Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PuPEE Power

Options
  • 03-01-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

We having a hard time with our Jack Russell, Dónal.

He is 9 months old.

He is house trained.. that is until someone comes to the house or even sometimes when we pet him he leaves a trail of wee. Its getting annoying now.

He gets SO excited, he has to be put away..

We cannot have him around anyone, he pees on their shoes, he wont sit down.. he just goes bananas.

He hopped on my brother last night and peed all over him and the couch :(

I dont want to have to keep putting him outside when people come.

I have been told that if I neuter him this may stop??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Neutering won't help this problem (but I would look at getting him neutered for other health reasons). He's an excited pee-er, I've had 2 of them! The easiest way to help this is to get all visitors to completely ignore Donal when they come in. They're not to talk to him, look at him or even smile in his direction. Let him become calm and only after he has become calm for a few minutes should anyone pet him but to be honest I'd suggest no one pet him for at least half an hour afterwards and only if he approaches them nicely. I'd also work on his house manners, if your brother sat down and he jumped into your brother's lap uninvited I'd work on not letting Donal on to the sofa without invitation. Apart from the annoyance of being pee-ed on, most guests don't really like dogs automatically jumping into their laps, they might not particularily like dogs or have a good outfit on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Neutering is a responsible thing to do it won't help with the problem he has now but will help with him marking with his pee.

Best to ignore when he wees with excitement if you say anything to him or make a fuss he will wee more, ignoring him is something he won't like so basically praise the good and ignore the unwanted.

That's the simple version but he will improve over time, also have the vet check him out to make sure he hasn't a weakness in the muscles that could be causing it.

Is he getting enough excercise, they're a very active dog so you need to make sure he's good an tired that will help relax him also make sure he's on a food with no additives or sugar in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Yve

Neutering won't help this problem (but I would look at getting him neutered for other health reasons). He's an excited pee-er, I've had 2 of them......

Thanks for this advice :) My mum was here last night and she totally ignored him and he didnt pee at all. But we may work on the uninvited jumping on to people and on to the couch.

My OH has an issue against the neutering (although he would have no problem neutering a female)... 'taking the dog out of the dog' :o but from advice on here I may just take him off on the quiet and have it done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Yve

Neutering is a responsible thing to do it won't help with the problem he has now but will help with him marking with his pee.
    Is he getting enough excercise, they're a very active dog so you need to make sure he's good an tired that will help relax him also make sure he's on a food with no additives or sugar in it.

Thanks Sigma Force:

Dónal does get plenty of exercise but seems to just have boundless energy..

But the food thing - we may work on this - he will eat anything that my son drops on the floor, crisps, bread , anything....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Yve wrote: »
    My OH has an issue against the neutering (although he would have no problem neutering a female)... 'taking the dog out of the dog' :o but from advice on here I may just take him off on the quiet and have it done :)

It's amazing how many men have issues neutering their dogs, I guess they're afraid there'll be a 2 for 1 offer on in the vets :D

The thing about neutering is it just removes sexually based bad behaviours - humping, excessive territory marking, aggression towards other male dogs, wandering if there's a bitch in heat anywhere. It won't change the personality of the dog at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Young dogs do what's called "submission urination" - they pee to show respect (they can't control this). Best way is, as others have said, to ignore the dog; almost invariably they grow out of this.

Advertisement