Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point going to doc?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'm 18 weeks now ( god I'm sooooooo excited!!!! ) but have this head cold since New years eve and haven't been able to shift it, obviously due to the fact ye can't take nothin for it! Anyway my nose gets very bad at night blocked/runny and sore, and today my breathing is a little weezy.. Wouldn't normally go to the doc with anything like this but just wondering should I just go to be on the safe side............. Oh and anyone know if a doctors appointment is free when pregnant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Congratulations on your pregnancy :)
    You could ask your pharmacist for a second opinion as that would be free. They would be better placed to advise if a trip to the doc is necessary.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

When pregnant dr's fees are free from 6 weeks pregnant until your baby is 6 weeks old. Afaik.
    I second going to pharmacy first, they should be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

Doctors visit are free when pregnant when pregnancy related only (now some gp's are more relaxed about this than others)

Full info on Maternity and Infant Care Scheme Scheme http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/maternity/combinedcare.html
    Care for other illnesses which you may have at this time, but which are not related to your pregnancy, is not covered by the Scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

I feel your pain.. I was sick in Nov and dear lord I wanted to die.. I was so caught up and couldn't breathe, I couldn't take anything.. only paracetamol, which i didn't at all.., I took honey and a real slice of lemon in hot water and that was it.. my nose bled an all.. oh very annoying.. I went to the doc as I had a soar throat and he said that he could see no reason to give me anti-biotics and I'd have to rest and fight it myself.. It lasted about 4 days the bad part but the actually sniffly bits (which i could handle) was about a week.. I'm 19 weeks myself, I sent my partner to the chemist to get VICS and they said I couldn't even use that (i flipped out) and i was to use (can't spell too lazy to google) eucaliptis oil in hot water and cover my head with a towel and breathe in (the old style way)... hope you feel better soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

I started with a head cold when i was 24 weeks gone and i didn't take anything for it and then it developed into a full blown sinus and chest infection - and the doctor recommended an antibiotic and i was better after two days - the doctor suggested that having me healthy was the main priority to keep baby healthy. He also said i could take lemsip if i wanted - but that could be dependant on stage in pregnancy. Try pharmacist or doctor. No point in being miserable unnecessarily. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Yes it's definitely worth going. I had a cold during my last pregnancy that turned into sinusitis and the doc prescribed antibiotics for it. It's always best to get checked out just in case they can relieve your suffering ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

10weeks pregnant tomorrow and can feel the start of a head cold coming on :( hope it doesn't turn into anything to serious, really dont want to have to take tablets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Congratulaions....It's only your scheduled appointments that are free.. like the every other one the hospital says gp in 2 or 4 weeks.. any other appointment you have to pay for. Try some saline spray to relieve the blocked nose feeling but it is a symptom of pregnancy.. the blood vessels in the nose swell with the increased blood volume, can also lead to nose bleeds too nothing really to worry about unless they don't stop,:D and remember your immune system is suppressed at the moment so everything you get will be just that little bit easier picked up and harder to get rid of. I wouldn't head to the gp yet.. try the pharmacist, the doc can't give you anything for a cold anyway, if it was a chest infection you'd have a temperature..
    are you asthmatic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭a.man

Thanks for the help girlies should have listened to yis all... Went to the docs anyway, and what a waste of time. The min I told the doc I was 18 weeks pregnant he actually looked scared!! He then said that my throat and chest were clear (so basically it was just a bad head cold) but instead of just saying that, gives me the whole "viral infection" speech, told me to continue taking the lemon and honey drinks, and when I asked him about strepsils and lempsip he said Oh I don't know, The pharmicist will be able to tell you that straight away?? Eh I'm asking you ye sap and I'm paying ye €60 for the privilage.. What a twat!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

my gp told me i could take lemsip and then my midwife told me no lemsip..apparently the decongestant in it can cause the baby to have heart palpatations or something like that...good thing i hadnt taken any

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Tbh i would go. I got a bit of a flu about 6wks before my due date. Got rid of it quickly. Or so i thought. Then about 3 weeks before i had the baby it came back....with a vengence. I spent a week at home in bed, literally felt like i was dying. Ended up being admitted to the hospital as it got so bad, was there for 5 days. The doctor told me if i had of gotten an antibiotic (there are actually some you can take when pregnant that are safe) when i got the first dose and gotten rid of it properly that it probably wouldnt have come back the second time as a stronger strain. Anyway its probably always better to get these things checked when your pregnant. Gp care is free for pregnant ladies as far as i know. Sure ring your gp and ask. Hope your feeling better soon. Good luck with everything.

Advertisement