Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a FURTHER increase in cigarette price?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Just went down to my local garage and was charged €9.10 for a box of Marlboro Lights. Is this another new increase being brought in by the government?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

username_x wrote: »
    Just went down to my local garage and was charged €9.10 for a box of Marlboro Lights. Is this another new increase being brought in by the government?

VAT rate went up 2% yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

It's the same increase you heard about a few months ago just coming into force now. It's not just on your ciggies. :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

So it's over 9 quid for a box of fags now? I don't know why but that's the last straw for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Good luck with that amacachi (seriously). Giving up Forum over that way --->.
    :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Vat went up 2% so this puts up the price of smokes.

Think of it this way. 20 cigs went up by 2c per euro. So a nine euro pack of smokes went up about 9 X 2c. In my book thats about 18c per pack.

Most of the smokes went up 20c but Rothmans went up 25c.

I sell smokes but this doesnt quite add up to me.

Are my maths wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Vat went up 2% so this puts up the price of smokes.

Think of it this way. 20 cigs went up by 2c per euro. So a nine euro pack of smokes went up about 9 X 2c. In my book thats about 18c per pack.

Most of the smokes went up 20c but Rothmans went up 25c.

I sell smokes but this doesnt quite add up to me.

Are my maths wrong?

No. But VAT doesn't just apply at the point of sale.
    It is also passed on to the cigarette makers by each of their suppliers.
    Plus the extra VAT on diesel increases distribution costs.

I'm surprised they only went up 20c tbh. I was expecting it to be at least 30+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Lapin wrote: »
    No. But VAT doesn't just apply at the point of sale.
    It is also passed on to the cigarette makers by each of their suppliers.
    Plus the extra VAT on diesel increases distribution costs.

I'm surprised they only went up 20c tbh. I was expecting it to be at least 30+.

This doesnt explain how they went up 20c when I worked out it should be about 18c. Plus, Rothmans went up 25c.

This suggests to me, the cigarette company sneaked in a price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This doesnt explain how they went up 20c when I worked out it should be about 18c. Plus, Rothmans went up 25c.

It does explain it as the cigarette companies are are also incurring higher costs for manufacturing & distribution before they even add on their extra 2%.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Rightly or wrongly its standard business practice to 'maintain your margins', hence what look likes 'a sneaky few pence' extra is added on when Vat or Excise is increased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

OldGoat wrote: »
    Good luck with that amacachi (seriously). Giving up Forum over that way --->.
    :)

I live a few miles from the border. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement